Used 1999 Chevrolet Prizm Consumer Reviews - 38 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Prizm

View reviews for a specific Prizm model:

Still runs great
By cjsacto

1999 Chevrolet Prizm LSi 4dr Sedan

I have had this car for eight years, and it is now ten years old. Mechanically, it has been completely reliable. Aside from a new battery four years ago, it has never hesitated to start. Good gas mileage, good acceleration. I've had some issues with alignment and uneven tire wear. However, there are some other problems. The inside door latch on the driver's side broke off, and I spoke to another owner of the same make who said theirs was broken, too AND they knew several other people with the problem. Mine has some sort of electrical problem; the electric windows don't roll back up right away, and the dummy lights and dome light burn out all the time.

Excellent acceleration. Completely dependable.

Cheap fittings, like the door handle, cup holder, plastic trim around the windows is falling apart.

Great little car
By miles

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I just stepped up into my '99 prizm from a '97 ranger. The name Prizm doesnt inspire anything good, but this car far surpasses my expectations. It is a 5 speed stick and insanely fast for a 1.8 4 cyl, it is fun to drive and gets excellent gas mileage. I am a mechanic and I know a good car when I see one, this is by far the best car for the money, being a corolla, with unbeatable reliability. A great car.

Fun to drive, 5 speed stick, comfortable interior, good sounding stereo, fits in small spaces, excellent fuel economy, unkillable toyota in disguise.

Cup holder does block the radio, the body dings and dents easily, boring styling.

Amazing Car
By Jusamazed

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

Bought it because it's actually a Toyota Corolla, minimally re-skinned, but all Toyota mechanicals. I drove it until 2005, then gave it to my son, who still has it. Fluid changes, tires, one battery, one fairly recent set of rear brake pads, that's it, and it's 10 year old this month, and still running like a top. It's still on it's first muffler, for goodness sakes.

Durability, low cost of ownership overall, including great gas mileage

Prism can't beat it
By tdhicks

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I bought this car in 2000, and was using it to deliver papers about 400 of them daily. On Sunday this car would carry 2000 plus pounds of paper up and down hills, through snow, rain etc. All I did was change the oil, breaks and tires. After completley beating this car up, a paper route will tell you if your car is worth anything. I tell you this has too be the best car ever. The door handle inside finally brooke off, but that's opening and closing it 200 times a day. The transmision and engine are still in great shape. After 7 years of using it on paper routes I just spent 600 dollars to completely redo the suspension and bearings. The car is like brand new. Chevy needs to make this car

Cup holder in the front, but I put a new stereo in mine and changed it up so it's all good..

I love this car!
By Mnshine77

1999 Chevrolet Prizm 4dr Sedan

I have owned this car for almost 8 years and have never had a more reliable car. I wish I could buy another one and keep it in storage for when this one goes! Seats can get somewhat uncomfortable on long rides and without any cruise control, but this car was built for reliability, not comfort. And my checkbook appreciates that! Words simply can't express how great this car has been for me.

My model is a no frills model, no cruise, no power windows, etc. Nothing really special about my model.

Little things-yes the cup holder can be a little annoying and trunk is definitely small. But as long as I'm not paying to fix it all the time, these are completely trivial to me. Please bring it back Chevy!