Used 2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Consumer Reviews - 101 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

80,000 mile lemon
By Chad Hyder

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car new and have had decent service up to this point. I'm have just started hearing a slight noise in the engine this week and its getting worse, I took it into the shop and was informed that the lifters and camshaft would need to be replaced. This would cost me $2,500,00. I'm checking around for better pricing but it seems this car is no longer drivable until this major repair is made. I just fill I should have been able to get more than 80,000 miles from this 2003 Monte Carlo. Needless to say I will not be walking onto a Chevrolet lot anymore. Its looking like I have been pushed to the superior foreign market. It just makes sense. C-Ya Chevy's!!!!

Looked and drove well up to 80,000 miles.

Need to make a car that will last over 80,000 miles without major repairs. The mechanic states that the engine looks great and he can not understand why this issue has occurred.

Great car
By CHEVY HEAD

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car about a year ago and I still love it! Drives like a car costing thousands more. In these crippling times people need value in their used car purchases. Monte Carlo offers that. Unique styling in an never ending sea of cookie cutter Japanese junk. GM never should have stopped making them!

Just stand back and look at it. Nothing else on the road looks like it.

Great for work or play
By ms

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Bought used with 14k, now have over 192,000 miles on it and I still get 28 MPG on the highway! Have the 3.8 V-6; wonder what kind of mileage I'd get with a 5 or 6 speed auto? Put down the back seats and I've carried ladders, lumber, 8-10 ft pieces of molding, vinyl flooring, you name it. Wish they hadn't stopped making it. I guess if I need to replace it I'll look for a '07.

Chevrolet?
By Quatermain98526

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I was on my way home from work when I stopped by the dealer to check out some cars. The Monte Carlo SS with 50K on it for only 9 grand blew me away, I bought it inside an hour. I also test drove an '03 Mustang LX and a '99 Camaro Z28, this car almost compares to the Camaro, and it's only a V6! with 100 HP less! The style of the car, and the SS trim is very very attractive. The car is spacious and comfortable inside, and the engine is very responsive, very touchy, I love it. Handling for a front wheel drive car is better than I predicted.

I like the tail end and side view of the car, very attractive. The engine is very responsive, very quick to accelerate. It's a comfortable car, very smooth riding. The full instrumentation dashboard is also nice.

The sound system on my '95 T-Bird sounded better than this. It spins out too easily when it's stopped and accelerates, and it's difficult to keep it going straight since it's front wheel drive. The front end needs to be more refined, it's the weak part of the car, looks too plain there.

I love my Jeff Gordon Monte
By jrrotten

2003 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This car was purchased as an investment and is driven less than 2000 mi annually now. It averages 26 mph and gets 32 mpg on the freeways. I purchased it new, and it is covered in the garage. I think GM and Hendrix motor sport did a great job of designing the package. It holds the road like it was glued to it. I took the car on 2 road trips, one to Arizona and one to Colorado. Wonderful auto, it now has 24,240 miles on it.

Nice leather, heated 6 way seats, trimmed with light and dark grays, and 24 on the headrest. Detailed with flames over the hood, fenders and doors, that you don't see at first. It's an head turner and I like it.

I'm not sure they could improve on this vehicle, as it is nearly perfect. Like I said, it gets 32 mph on the freeways,and that is at 80 mph and more, and that was running in the mountains. I wonder what it might do on flat ground, like Nebraska and Kansas. I think it is perfect.