Used 2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Consumer Reviews - 85 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

still styling and smiling
By stillrollin

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I have a Dale Earnhardt edition and have been pleased. 95k miles and still goin. other than routine maint.and cat.converter.Recently had to change the t-stat,but after 94k, no problem. Haven't changed brakes or even wiper blades, don't know what's up with that, crazy. Peppy and still stops on a dime. I really don't drive aggressively. But nice to know I could when I need to. My girl loves the seat warmer. When she's washed and polished,well it's Black!More than I expected.

Looks and Handling. MPG . Low maintenance so far ,so good!

Front cup holder useless. Paint not very durable.

Cars that last
By Gahe

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my '02 MC with 11,000 miles on it in April of 2002. Since that time I have put on 318,000 on my own, putting my mileage at 328,000. The car looks and feels almost like it did when I bought it. I would buy another in a heartbeat!

At high speeds the car handles smooth and responsive. Overall balance of the wheelbase allows it to perform tight cornering at elevated speed. The bucket seats allow for a cradled feeling that keeps you saddled during turns.

The heavy weighted doors cause most people to slam them when closing.

great car!
By luvu2_much

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new in Oct. of '02. I have since given this car to my son with over 120K miles. Other than normal maintenance I have not spent a dime on this car. Great ride, excellent in the Ohio winters, and 30+ mpg at 70mph on the interstate. Solid feel to the car, nice stock stereo, and it handles very nice for a large coupe. I would definitely buy another one of the same year if I could find it with lower mileage. A great car for the money!

heated seats for the cold Ohio winters. Low maintenance costs and great gas mileage.

6 cd changer would be nice. Not the easiest vehicle to get a passenger into the back seat.

Love my bright yellow Monte Carlo SS
By Phil

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I saw this car in bright yellow on a dealer's lot over an 1/8th of a mile from the street. It was so hot looking, I had to check it out. Before I knew it, I bought it. It rode way better than the Mustangs, was as quiet and road as well as a Cadillac, mine has every option except a power passenger seat or heated seats (which I don't really need where I live, and I usually drive alone anyway). This car has given me no problems since 2002, in fact, other than tires, I haven't spent a dime on it, and here it is 2008, the way car dealers count age, the car is 7 years old and has NO problems. I can't say enough about how good a buy this car was, best car I've had since 1969 Cougar Eliminator

Steering wheel controls for everything, great stereo, mine plays cassettes and CDs and has a great bass response. People wow over the stereo, and with the bright yellow paint, it's a head turner. I get 22 mpg in town with my foot "in it" most of the time. This car handles great, and feels very safe.

The front cupholder is hard to use when car is in park. I would like to see higher air dams on the front of the car so the car won't scrape tall curbs.

Disappointed
By Collins

2002 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Beautiful, fun car to drive. Very disappointed in the resale value. Have had catalytic converter replaced (under warranty), PassLock security system failed, BCM unit went bad, power steering and brakes needed replaced, cooling system problems, and ignition system had to be replaced, all within the first 60,000 miles. Now the windshield fogs up, no cause detected by 2 certified mechanics. Fuel mileage is better than normal with 26 city, 35 highway.

I own the Dale Earnhardt Signature Series '02 Monte Carlo SS. A real looker! Sound system rocks! Makes this old gal even look good.

GM needs to get rid of the PassLock security system. Exhaust system could use a throaty sounding rumble.