Used 2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Consumer Reviews - 71 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

Great Sports Car
By Austin

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car 5 years old, it only had 25k on it. Have owned the car for 5 years and I have done the recommended service on it and it has lasted along time. The car now has 182k and still have original transmission and engine. The car still drives like new. Also this car has a lot of power compared to other sports cars and the trunk is huge.

Heated Seats, Front Power Seats, On star, sunroof, power windows and doors.

The only thing i wished they would of done to this car is add a half of a door so passengers can get into the back without pulling the seat forward and crawling in the back.

Not Bad...
By RSS

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

This Monte has been a decent car and I would call it average at best. I bought the car w/ high miles and started the fixing process. The previous owner did take good care of the car too. Intake manifold gaskets are weak, catalytic converter will crap out and cause weird issues, steering shaft will clunk when not lubed. The car has had issues but has always started and gotten me to where I need to go, though it might not be too pretty.

Leather seats, good torque, easy to work on, heated seats (I did have to fix them though- Re-soldering connections), Nice gauge lay out and ergonomics.

Fix the bugs- catalytic converter, fuel gauge sending unit never is accurate (something gets loose and the gauge bounces around and you don't know how much gas you have), transmission is weak, and steering shaft clunk is absurd and common in all montes of the generation.

Excellent fuel mileage
By Kenny in NM

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LS 2dr Coupe (3.4L 6cyl 4A)

Bought in 2003 with 17,000 Miles. Replaced CV joints at 70K. New Plugs wires at 100K. Just drove from NM to AL and back for vacation and got 32 MPG on first tank of fuel (Night-time Driving With a/c off). Averaged 25.7 MPG for the total 3068 miles driven.

Driving and comfort. Excellent sound system but stereo AMP tends to burn out. Replaced at 110K. Friend had same problem.

Recall and replace AMP. it's the only repeated gripe for MC owners.

01 monte carlo ss
By bigredss

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my car for a yr now. Even though already powerful and comforting stock, I've made a few upgrades improving fuel economy, power and look. Adding the k&n intake and getting my computer modded not only added loads of hp, but improved my gas mileage by at least 6 mpg. I run 93 octane shells v-power gasoline. Though expensive, the fuel Burns better and is used more efficiently, also keeping my injectors a lot cleaner. Overall I'm in love with my car. I have the limited edition (25k) made and get looks and compliments every shop and or store I go. Sounds super sexy with flowmaster exhaust, so highly recommended :)

black leather, seat warmers, sun roof, lots of trunk space, ample room for passengers, easy mods, sleek look

extremely long car, if you have bad visibility, dont drive this car. led lighting would have been nice to start with

Must Have a MONTE!
By LOVE MONTE SS

2001 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS 2dr Coupe (3.8L 6cyl 4A)

Every Monte Carlo SS I own I get looks! I bought it used with about 62K and am now at about 114K. I have a lead foot! I haven't yet had any problems with my brake system. I did have my 4th gear (overdrive) go out on me. I've had to replace the Cat. Converter twice. Am being told by a family member that Chevy didn't build the exhaust system big enough for the bigger engines (and the way I drive). But if I blow one a year they are still covered under warranty! My fog lights don't work, never had a problem with seats, window motor was replaced, normal maintenance stuff done, oh leather pulled away from side air bag.

I love the sporty look of the car and that it's a larger car that I feel safe in! Love heated seats and sun roof! Love the dark tinted windows I bought it with! Would you believe I fit a kids power wheel jeep in the front passenger seat?! I love this car!! I can fit a lot in it!

Larger Exhaust system for the larger engine PLEASE!! Not sure what to do about the leather pulling away from the side air bag... drives me insane! Dealership tried to glue it.. duh! It pulls away again and again!