Used 1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Consumer Reviews - 41 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

Best car I've ever owned
By Dave

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

Truly the best car I've ever owned. It has never been in the shop for anything other than routine maintenance. I've gotten as high as 29 MPG on the highway- four cylinder mileage with six cylinder power. City MPG is holding up at 24- I couldn't ask for anything more. Great handling, excellent tire wear, a/c blows cold, no rattles, and no service visits. I will definitely own this car until it dies- which I don't believe will happen- it keeps going. Kudos, GM, on the best car I could ever ask for.

Everything

Nothing

A Great Car !
By Cari

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

I did not plan on keeping my car this long. But it just keeps going and going and going. It has been a great car with very few repairs needed. I am still waiting for a reason to get a new one. Not yet !

Sunroof, Leather seats and the get up and go.

None

Still kickin'
By Mr. B

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

I've now had my '98 Z34 for 5 years. I've had few issues with her. She now has over 160,000 miles on the original engine and transmission and she runs smoothly. Surprisingly, the gas mileage has gotten better with age! I average around 24 MPG (21 around town; 28 on the Interstate). All of the accessories have held up well. One of the few complaints I have is the quality of the center console--there is a plastic coating that tends to rub off and the hinges for the console storage lid broke. Mechanically, this car has done pretty well. I've had some seemingly unique issues: transmission solenoid failed at 40K mi.; plenum warped at 130K (plastic cover on top of engine). Overall, I am VERY happy with my '98 Z34!

The leather seats are so comfortable! That was one of the major selling points to me. I'm a salesman, so I spend LOTS of time in my car! Great stereo. Power is good. A/C blows cold every time! Good tires. Great trunk space. Auto headlights are awesome! What did I do before w/o dual climate zones?!

Most of the improvements I would suggest have already been made: more gauges; supercharged option; more unique styling.

So So
By Eric

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

When I purchased the car it had a whine from the power steering pump, but was corrected by replacing the hose with a larger diameter one. Had replaced the alternater 3 times with a battery each time. Fuel economy is about 19 mpg average. Car rides like a dream and power is great. Anti-lock brakes and AC does not work and too costly to repair.

Dual zone climate system and audio

Electrical bugs need to be worked out.

A Good Product
By Satisfied Gal

1998 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

Purchased my Z34 new in torch red with charcoal leather seats and practically everything available on it. Feed it regular gas and synthetic oil with regular non-extravagent routine preventive maintenance. The Front wheel drive and large tires give outstanding control in snow. The Z34 Monte is most reliable car have had yet. Comfortable & attractive,everyone notices it -- not always a good thing! At 118K miles reliability degraded & a few quirky, not so small repairs started. Transmission hiccupped at 129K miles then at 140K miles. Cost some money to fix. Would get a Chevy again if could find a caring mechanic. Curious to see how long this car will last--was a good buy.

Great front wheel drive, extremely comfortable and durable leather seats, very good power, nice controlability, very good trunk room. The body is durable, fit and trim nice, and paint quaity much better than expected.

None