Used 1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Consumer Reviews - 35 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe

View reviews for a specific Monte Carlo model:

Great Buy
By bec10

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

I bought my Monte Carlo five years ago; it's been a great car. I've noticed that the people that are giving this car negative reviews are the owners of the Z34, which explains a lot. When I was shopping, I was warned not to buy the Z34 due to its bad reputation. The 3.1 liter engine in the LS is the way to go if you are shopping. My car now has 170,000 miles on it, and I've only replaced the alternator (at 160,000 miles) and had standard maintenance done. That is exceptional for a car 12 years old, and I highly recommend this car, especially if it is your first. Notice that overall, most people's complaints are about minor things, such as the cupholder.

Day time running lights, good looks, safe

Better cupholders.

I Love This Car!
By Glenda

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

I spotted my Monte Carlo on the lot just after it rolled off the truck & bought it the same day! I've had it for almost 13 years & enjoy driving it just as much today as I did when it was brand new. It's big enough that I feel safe in it, it's very comfortable, all my friends comment on what a smooth riding car it is & can't believe it's still on the road after all these years. Plus, it still gets 25MPG highway miles! I've upgraded the stereo & speakers,it's had normal wear & tear but it's never needed any major repairs plus the oil's changed every 3000 miles. I've bought a new car for road trips but continue to drive the MC to work daily, 50miles. I'll drive it til the wheels fall off!

Smooth, quiet ride. Gas mileage.(It would be a full size car by today's standards). Looks, relibility, it's never left me stranded.

Extra cup holder for passenger!

My Monte Carlo
By dcrookbigpat

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

The car has ran great since I owned it. It doesn't take hits well but is still reliable. It is easy to work on. The fuel economy could be a lot better and it would be nice if it was rear wheel drive like the 80's Monte Carlo. Overall this car is great

The bucket seats are nice. It runs real quiet which makes it a dream to drive

Rear wheel drive and better gas mileage

Chevy lover turning a new leaf??
By G

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe Z34 2dr Coupe

The most expensive and newest car I ever bought lasted the shortest amount of time. Mechanics have refused to work on the nightmare motor. Got offered $500 trade in a couple months ago. Replaced motor, fuel pump, water pump, timing belt twice, thermostat (still over heats), altenator, the back brakes cannot be fixed, tried too many times to count. Strut broken and tranny is weak. Had power when it was still good, but I'm lucky to get 22 MPG now. Only 130K on motor too.

Comfortable interior, stylish exterior, power

Cup holder, new motor design

Indestructable
By jeff

1997 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Coupe LS 2dr Coupe

This car is great. I bought it with 130,000 miles on it. I have no garage, so it stayed outside. There'd be a Nor eastern, and 3 feet of snow and ice would get dumped on it. I'd be lazy and leave it that way for a few days till I had to use it; just clean it off and it'd start right up, first time. The only trouble I had w/ it was the gas tank needed replacement, as the salt from the roads rotted a whole in it. Just the other day, a deer ran headlong into the side of it when I was driving. Broke the headlight and the fender pretty bad, smashed its head on the hood; car kept going like nothing happened. It's big front end makes parking a lil tricky at first. The doors are quite heavy too.

Reliability. You'd need a bloody bomb to knock it off its game. If Glock made a car, it'd look like this.

Another cup holder, more comfy seats