Used 2016 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 54 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2016 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Multiple recalls and repairs
By KG

2016 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Buyer beware. Since purchasing this car I have gone through two recalls , gear shift replacement, failed brakes (while my son was driving over a bridge) failed solenoids and most recently piston replacement after car decelerated to 20 miles an hour while going 65 miles an hour, putting my life and other drivers lives in danger. The car just now turned over 30,000 miles and it has already being towed three times. Fortunately my lease is up in a year so I can walk away. However I highly doubt the problems are completely over and the remainder of the time could be spent with more repairs. After doing research, this is not an isolated incident by any means. This is a common problem with this vehicle. Take my advice and look elsewhere before you purchase a Malibu. Whether or not I will ever buy another GM product will depend on if they honor my request for a bumper to bumper warranty extension for the remainder of my lease.

Little things hurt the Malibu
By Roger Farrell

2016 Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid 4dr Sedan (1.8L 4cyl gas/electric hybrid DD)

This was a fine car except for 6 trips to the dealer for things like replacing turn signal bulbs twice in 3 months, fixing a check-engine problem, fixing the device that measures tire pressure and a front end problem that required a $100 repair not covered by warranty. We traded this car in after 16 months of ownership on a Toyota while we could get good value for it. Whoever buys this car will be fine if they don't mind being buddies with the dealership. For me, it's goodbye Chevy, forever.

Absolute Piece Of Junk!!
By Paul Spadafore

2016 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

For consumers out there stay away like the plague!! The car is a year old, and has been in the shop three times in the last month. Check engine light keeps coming on,battery died, and the windshield wiper pump went all with less than 30,000 miles. The latest incident the check engine light went on,and killed the power to the car. My wife was able to limp into the parking garage at work at 5mph. She drives 40 miles one way to work,and I bought the car for reliable transportation to Detroit. My Saturn with 130k is a better option. I am in the process of trying to get GM to buy back the car. Absolute piece of junk is to kind for this car!!

Motor poorly made
By meme71173

2016 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

GM is having trouble with the motors dropping the pistons. Instead of replacing parts to correct the problem. They have decided to change the oil type the car uses and do adjustments to the computer to try and correct the problem. Not a good fix, my 2016 Malibu dropped a piston at 67000 miles, and it was well maintenance. I would not recommend this car to anyone.

Worst decision I've ever made.
By AJ

2016 Chevrolet Malibu LT w/1LT 4dr Sedan (1.5L 4cyl Turbo 6A)

Bought this vehicle with 2 miles on it, have had several occasions the brakes go out randomly, the electronic navi goes out randomly, and the engine is terrible. i'm now in a battle with the dealership because the engine has [non-permissible content removed] as well as many other customers but they will not waranty my vehicle because i didn't have the oil serviced at the dealership. WORST CAR BUY EVER, and all the Chevy vehicles I've bought this one has definitely made me consider kia or honda the next time i purchase a vehicle. (I've owned an Impala, Camaro, Silverado, Cavalier)