Used 2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews - 46 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Almost an excellent vehicle
By Chris S

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought my 2011 Malibu LT2 back at the beginning of 2015 and have been using it for nearly 8 months. I opted for a V6 because it was such an excellent price that I figured "why not?". That engine has some pull to it (roughly 250hp) and sounds pretty smooth. The only problem is the advertised fuel efficiency numbers aren't quite right. In the city of Seattle, I get around 15-17mpg and on the freeway, if I am on cruise control between 60-65, I get sneak up to 29-31mpg (with a level road surface). Any incline will drop the hwy mileage to around 24-25mpg. Stop and starts with the V6 are what really murder your fuel efficiency here. The seats are almost fine, but my back will hurt after long drives because the seats force your shoulders in a bit and my upper back is forced back - almost like a mild squeeze. Smaller bodies probably won't notice this as much (I'm 6'2 and have a wider build that the average person), but it's an annoyance. The quality of the Malibu LT2 is inconsistent. I have some kind of leather/suede-fabric hybrid that makes cleaning a bit tougher than it should be. The dashboard and door panels are composed of a cheap plastic material that scratches easily. The instrumentation and radio/temp controls are fine. Nothing fancy but nothing to complain about. The 6-speaker system is adequate for most people. You can get reasonable volumes without distortion in the audio but the system is built to cap everything off in that department before you hit those higher volumes that would degrade your listening experience. I've heard a 2013 Malibu's 2LT/LTZ stereo which uses a Bose system (I think) and it's a step up (though still doesn't quite compete with some higher-grade car stereos out there). As for reliability: I've had my car in a couple times this year - once for a piston replacement (fortunately under warranty, but just barely) and the other for simple coil and spark plug replacements, which are actually easy to replace, I just hadn't learned how to do it yet (a YouTube video can literally save you $500 in parts and labor for replacing one or multiple coils that sit atop your engine). All in all the Malibu for this year is decent. It has a solid look to it and offers decent options, depending on what trim you end up with. The LT2 or LTZ vehicles are the best available so if you do buy one, try and look for those trims. But from what I've been hearing about the newer Malibus - you're better off buying used 2014 and beyond because the 4cyl is closer to the Nissan Altima fuel efficiency ratings and the quality of the cabin materials has drastically improved.

UPDATE: I got rid of my Malibu because the V6 engine kept having issues. I had a fuel pump issue, cylinder head issues, and more within 6 months. Had it in the shop 3 times. Jiffy Lube eventually destroyed the engine when they didn't put the oil filter all the way onto my engine after an oil change. The car was okay, if a bit cheap with cabin materials, but I've since driven a 2014 Malibu and they did a MUCH better job all around with that vehicle. Don't buy the 2008-2012 models if you can because your value is so much better in the newer ones (and the fuel efficiency is great).

A good car - worth the value
By ehicks87

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

All around good car. I do about 80% highway driving and get an avg 31 mpg. People have to realize that this car is not a powerhouse; if you drive it like a high school-er you will be disappointed in your gas mileage. Treating your car nice goes a long way- tires-brakes-suspension-etc. Anyways, there's something about this car that makes me miss driving it when I'm in another vehicle. Especially my wife's dodge dart turbo..... Man that thing is a piece of crap.

The interior is top notch design. My boss was impressed and he drives a BMW! Build materials are not bad. I wish I had leather but even the cloth seats are well made. Everything is very easy to get to and maintain. (except for headlights/ turning signals)

If I could go back, I'd buy the LTZ model with the sunroof. Those rims and tail lights look a lot more slick. To replace the headlights/ turning signals, you have to REMOVE the front bumper entirely. Makes it a pain but in reality you will only have to do this MAYBE three times during the life of the car if you buy good/ long lasting lights. Also, GM's ACDelco fuel pumps kind of suck. I had mine replaced under warranty at 60k Miles; but no big deal.

From bad to worse to rotten
By 2011nomore

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I had 3 Malibu's 2006, totaled by a drunk driver.

2006, totaled by a bus. Car accelerated into traffic. I reversed as my choice was a gasoline tanker and a bus.

2011 : This car from day one has been a lemon.
It is getting worse. I have 18 k on the car. I get 21 miles on open highway and 17 in city.
I have been told by GM to put 20 more thousand miles to loosen it up. Door on drivers side leaks and has "been" fixed only to leak worse. At 40 mph there is a dinging in the right rear. At 60 mhp under load the steering column shakes and rattles the whole car. If you let off the gas it quits. Dealer told me this is "normal".
Transmission fluid is dark brown..."normal" too.
UPDATE: 3 recalls:
Battery has been replace 3 times, due to a short in the "electrical" system. Antenna and grounding cable rotted off. Transmission kept surging. Taken to dealer via flatbed. After 38k miles. Dealer called and asked who put or changed trans fluid?
When I asked why? It is I gallon over capacity. The stress from cavitation has taken its toll. The shifter is sloppy and can bee put into reverse.
I met a service manager in the market. He told me that the car" has a long list of electrical issues, which would cost several thousand to fix."
His advice was to sell it.
I asked " to whom? "
JUNK,TRASH, Will never buy another GMC!

So far so good!
By simplyme

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Purchased a few months ago. Already put on 4,000 miles. It's a very comfortable car Me being 6'6" I fit quite well. Although anyone who sits behind me had better be quite short! Monique as she is rightfully named is a snappy accelerator, corners fantastically, and I love the clad wheels. Trunk is huge. I had taken a trip to Frankfot KY. and I averaged 37.7mpg!! with a full trunk

At times the remote start is finicky, but no complaints. She was a lease car before I bought her. The driver seat is kind of like crumpled near the door, which is causing a tear. Which is very disappointing. Considering my 02 Impala had over 230,000 on it and no rips or tears.

Blue tooth. Remote start. Wheels. style, comfort and reliability so far. The headlights on this beauty are very strong and do a great job in night time driving especially in my rural area of living. Leg room,ease of cleaning and maintenance .

Make stronger front seats for taller people. considering the driver seat kind of squeaks, rattles and is collapsing near the door.

TRACTION SYSTEM failed and poor gas millage
By superborg

2011 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

poor gas millage on a 4 cylinder 19-23mpg mostly hwy miles. traction and break control systems failed causing accident. this is an unsafe car. car under warranty 34000 miles. GM response less than helpful. GM black box was tested for and showed no accident infomation but driver side airbags failure in reality drivers door crushed in. Car under warranty was taken by me and GM to several dealerships, SUNSHINE CHEVROLET tech told me by the codes the two parts that would have causes the issues. GM made by back and now SUNSHINE CHEVROLET won't service the new chevrolet.