Used 2011 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 46 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2011 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Absolutely THE BEST
By Maranda

2011 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This car is AWESOME. FUN TO DRIVE SUPER SAFE AND RELIABLE I HIGHLY RECCOMEND IT!!

If you have it, sell it, and don't ever purchase
By Kyle Phernetton

2011 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

What a mistake this piece of junk is. There are countless recalls and they are all on insignificant things. Do yourself a favor and google "2011 Chevy Malibu Engine Power Decreased" and read the reviews about this POS. There is no recall for a problem that costs not only $2,000 TO FIX, but can be deadly. Long story short, there is a faulty sensor that goes out somewhere between 50,000-120,000 miles (roll of the dice) that is going to without warning make your car shake and reduce your engine power. There are stories about people on the freeway that had this happen while driving and their car dropped to 25 miles per hour.

Go in to get it fixed, $2,000 to replace the damage this stupid sensor has caused. Don't buy this car. Ever. For any reason. Until there is a full recall don't touch it.

A Chevy Family now!
By Dennis

2011 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I can't say enough good things about this car! It runs super quiet, has great pick up and passing power, rides smooth, gets great gas mileage (27/mpg combined for me with 50/50 city/highway), looks sharp and has awesome audio system. I'm thinking of buying another one right one for one of my teenagers. It's been a while since we've owned a domestic car but the 2011 Malibu has changed our minds - we're a Chevy family now!!

Loyalty Rewarded
By Stephen Clark

2011 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have bought GM products starting with a 1967 Camaro through even a Chevy Vega and continuing to the present up to and including the aforementioned 2011 Malibu. My guess is that I have purchased over the years about 20 GM products, so this comment does not come from a closet Ford or Dodge owner. At 120,000 miles the transmission just quit. Everyone I know who owns something other than a GM product have in excess of that with no problem. I try to be loyal to not only the brand but the dealership. Basically, I was told by the dealer here in Idaho that your car is worth nothing and a transmission will cost you $3,500. So the car is at the dealership and I have had to borrow cars to get around. Your alternatives are few short of putting a for sale sign on the car and parking it at the dealership. There was no effort to try to ameliorate the frustration by either the company or the dealership. I will put in the transmission, but I will not return to Chevrolet or the dealership. The lesson to be learned from this to always get the cheapest price as there is no advantage to being loyal to a brand or a dealer.
The travails continued after I picked up the car,with new transmission, it sounded awful when it started lots of valve clatter and before I got out of the parking lot the check engine light came on. On Star diagnostics said it needed to go back to the dealer. After having it for at least two weeks and paying them $3,500 the car was not running. The service manager was busy explaining it was not his fault and I was busy thinking that is a load of crap. To say I was angry and disappointed would be an under statement. He said it would take 40 minutes to change the now defective sensor; he was back in less than 5. Clearly they failed to make all the proper connections and it was just a question of correcting that. About the only concession was that I was not charged. The silver lining was Chevy. They stepped up and offered a discount on any GM product, after they failed to get anything from the dealer. I currently have a 2016 Malibu-from a different dealer-and I have been pleased with it. All of this could have been avoided had the dealer shown any concern.

Initially good, eventually very bad - must read!
By Chris Warren

2011 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I had my Malibu 2LT w/ a V6 engine for 9 months. I had it in the shop FIVE times in that period. Once for a piston replacement, once for replacing spark plugs/cylinder coils, once for replacing wiring to cylinders, once for replacing water hose... the list of problems with this car are incredible! On one hand, the V6 has a nice smooth get-up-and-go feel to it. The engine sounds great but never forces the car to lose its composure on the road. The look of the Malibu is sharp - nothing over the top, but enough smooth but pronounced edges to make you have a quick glance. I couldn't believe this was a Chevy at first. But then I spent a lot of time in the car and realized that the seats aren't comfortable (they squeeze and push my arms forward a bit), lumbar support sucks (optional lumbar control is mostly for show and ends up being very bad for your back according to my friend who's a practicing chiropractic). The door materials are cheap and plastic-y, there's a lot of stuff you can tell will break easily. The glove box had numerous scratches from a small handful of passengers getting in/out of the vehicle.

Chevy basically did a nice job updating the Malibu but failed to give it real quality interior. The 4-cyl engine MAY be decent - fewer moving parts = fewer things to go wrong. But I ended up with TWO V-6 engines because Jiffy Lube left my oil filter off and my engine seized a couple days later. They paid for the replacement engine, but funny-enough the second V6 has a couple of the same issues within weeks of it being installed! Fortunately they repairs were covered, but I lost two weeks of work over 2 months because of my car problems. Do not buy the V6 engine, as having 2 bad engines (one of which was "re-certified") means this is not a good car to buy to last you several years. Look toward 2013 and newer where the Malibu is getting much better initial quality scores and offers much better interior options.