Used 2010 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2010 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

No Thank You!
By gotonana

2010 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Bought the car for it's high estimated mpg. If 15.9 to 19 is high then I guess I got what I paid for!!
The dealership tells me nothing is wrong with this 4 cylinder car!!

So far I count myself LUCKY
By beguilingirl

2010 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

So far everything is going great with my new-to-me Malibu.
It is spacious & well designed.
I commute about 22-25 miles each way to work (mostly CA highways) and I'm averaging 29-32 mpg.
And believe me, I am not going a steady 65mph for that whole time. I am standard rush hour 5pm traffic everyday. I took a 2 hour drive and my mpg was up 33. So far so good. That 15 gallon gas tank though makes a nice dent at every fill-up.

All the internal features are really easy to use and intuitive designed.
Love the sliding cup holder cover!

As far as the steering wheel manual gear shifter, i wish that had been put some place else.
Kinda get in my way but not enough to really complain.

Glad it was a rental-poor!
By rman961

2010 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We rented this car to go on a 700 mile trip. The car is beautiful on the outside, but on the inside, it is made with mostly plastic. The seats could be more comfortable, and the cloth has no good quality whatsoever. Leg room is poor in the rear. The trunk is extremely small and you can barely fit a mid sized cooler in it! I'm so glad we didn't buy this car. Go with the Fusion!

Exterior looks, radio controls, gas mileage.

Seats need to be more comfortable, build the interior with less plastic, make the car a little bigger.

2010 four cylinder Malibu.
By djm2

2010 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I like the styling of the vehicle, and the fit and finish of the vehicle is outstanding! ---- The build quality is excellent, --- but the four cylinder engine leaves a lot to be desired. ------ In terms of performance it does not come close to a four cylinder Honda Accord engine. --- The vehicle does not achieve the listed miles per gallon. The best that I have been able to achieve in 8,000 miles of ownership is 27 mpg, out of a posted 30 to 33mpg. --- The quality of the original equipment tires leaves a lot to be desired. ---- My four tires loose air between 2,500 mile service intervals. -- If I were to purchase this vehicle again, I would purchase the V6 model.
Best regards. ----- Dwayne

The quality of the interior. Seat quality. The layout of the instrument panel. Seat comfort. Handling on the road

Better original equipment tires. A more powerful four cylinder engine.

Great value, beautiful car, but still has "GM-ness"
By nick7302

2010 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

We bought our Malibu in August of 2010.
It is January 2011 now and we've already got near 12k miles.
LTZ is very sharp looking, the features are great, and a strong value for the dollar.
Still, not perfect: Gas mileage is rated 22/33--we average 24-26 on mostly rural and secondary/suburban roads, which is less than I'd expect.
We did have the airbag light come on around 9k miles and we had to take it in to the dealer to have a sensor replaced.
There are other signs of old GM here...if you press the overhead light or sunroof buttons the headliner flexes quite a bit.
Rubber trim around sunroof looks sloppy.
Transmission hunts and engine can be buzzy during warm up.

In LTZ trim, I still think this is the classiest looking car in it's class. Almost Germanic. Sonata, Optima, Mazda6 are more sharp now, but may not age as well. Bluetooth, Onstar navigation, heated seats, leather, and more all come standard with LTZ. Only option we got was a sunroof. Very low maintenance schedule...practically nothing but oil changes for the first 50k. Timing Chain, not belt. Ecotec is buzzy but (supposedly) durable. Good size, 5-star crash ratings all around. Manual shift feature. Nice ride and handling mix, in my opinion.

Although panel gaps are uniform and thin, doors close with a solid thunk, etc., there are still signs of a lapse in build quality (see aforementioned headliner flex and messy trim lining around sunroof). Also some plastics and materials used are still a bit cheap, although overall interior design is sharp. Transmission can sometimes seem confused. Trunk opening is pathetically small--very hard to get a stroller in there, and that's important for a family sedan. GM--please post realistic EPA figures. I used to always get highway figures on my route; now I'm barely beating city with this car. Most of all, I hope the car proves to not require more unplanned maintenance or dealer visit