Used 2010 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews - 94 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2010 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Absolute dissapointment
By coswife13

2010 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this 2010 Malibu used with 55,888 miles on it. Lets just say I should have kept my 2007 Impala. I traded due to wanting a car without leather but needless to say that was a small problem compared to everything that has happened with this Malibu. I have been back to the dealership 6 times in the last month and a half that I have had it and it still isn't running properly. I had to put all new tires, new brakes, a new blower in the heater. My speakers are junk and they have put new struts on but I am still experiencing the same noise as before the "new" struts were on. I have never had to put this much work into a car before and my first car was 15 years old when I got it!

Nice pick up and go for a 4 cylinder, decently comfortable seats, nice body style

Should come equipped with better quality parts and more "technology" for being a 2010.

Great Car
By intoz24s

2010 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

My wife wanted the Buick Enclave but that's quite a bit more so we agreed on the Malibu.
It's a nice car that rides well and is quiet on the road.
Ours is the LTZ with the V6 and the engine is something beautiful to listen to when accelerating.
The car on the highway truely does get 30-32 MPG.

The V6 is smooth and beautiful to listen too. The transmission is smooth and always knows what gear to be in (I'm used to 4 speed autos that just don't downshift when needed). The seats are comfortable for long drives and the ride is a nice combination of smooth, soft and sporty all in one.

The trunk has a small opening and isn't very high from the floor to the top. My wife is always complaining about the head rests and how they protrude too far foward and interfear with her "hair" (I have no problem with them). Ours has the paddles shifters and I realize the car magazines think owners want these things but they're really just in the way when resting your hands on the steering wheel.

great looking exterior but wouldnt buy again...
By wolfmagic7

2010 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

wife loved it but is easily impressed.
i've driven this car for 1 year now and bought it after describing the testdrive as "adequate" to her and the salesman.
when i feel different, i will change my review.

we bought it from dealer near end of 3 year warranty and the first issue to fix was excess wind noise due to thin metal and windows.

it was heaviest in its class so seemed safer against larger vehicles, but feels paper thin.
closing doors sounds tinny.
poor mileage way never ever coming close to ratings is biggest issue with it.

stereo bass seems a bit muffled until high volumes where it actually starts to sound good due to some built-in cascading loudness feature. every cup holder in the car is largely dysfunctional and cumbersome i.e. only 1 is unusable.

my top 2 complaints (also common): A. fuel economy is way under fuel rating my 09 malibu never reaches it and is consistently 15% under - my fullsize chrysler V6 gets better hwy miles B. front bumper too low scrapes on parking lot curb/stops and driveways Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan 2009 1. Front bumper too low to the ground. 2. Raise front a bit - hits curbs. 3.Front end too low - scrapes when going into some driveways and parking in most spaces with a curb. source: http://www.reviewcars.com/2009-chevrolet-malibu Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan 2010 4. The front bumper is too low & scrapes source: http://www.edmunds.com/chevrolet/malibu/2010/consumer-reviews.html

Looks great, noisy cheap interior
By MikeURL

2010 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I actually have the 6 cylinder model but I can't find an option to review that version.

I admit I was sold on this car by the looks.
I really liked the way it looked on the outside so I overlooked a lot of other problems.
Primarily I'm disappointed with the amount of noise when driving.
The wheels and suspension transmit every little sound into the cabin.
Also, the headliner squeaks and rattles.
It is irritating but I don't want to try and get the dealer to take the whole headliner out and fix it.

Also, the ride is very rough.
You can feel every little crack in the pavement.
The upside to that is that the handling is actually quite good.
This car can corner on a dime.

The acceleration with the V6 is pretty strong. But under full throttle the engine makes so much noise you'll think it is going to explode (and not that good high rev noise, a bad tinny vibration noise). As I already mentioned, the car looks great with the 18 inch wheels and alloy rims. I love the remote start and onstar is pretty awesome. Just bear in mind that this model year does NOT offer smartphone access to your onstar account. Sadly because that is an awesome feature.

A pretty easy thing for GM to fix would be to upgrade the interior. The cheap looking plastic they used in the 2010 model is pretty bad. Also, if Chevy would enable the android app for onstar on this model year that would be nice. Anything they could do to reduce the road noise would help a lot. Overall it isn't a bad car. I got a really good price on it so that certainly helped me overlook the other problems.

pretty good car.
By shotgun1496

2010 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

have had tons of issues but thats from tons of driving every day. car wasn't running good lately but then it hit a truck tire on the freeway, tore the crap out of the bottom of the car, got it fixed for $4000, but this car has never ran so great, i love it now rides smooth and quietly, runs good but to small of an engine for the car.

comfort.