Used 2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews - 189 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Impressed and not impressed
By wynne19

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I needed a vehicle that got better fuel mileage. I traded my 06 F150 crew cab in for this car.
It has saved me alot of money so far.
It get's 27/city at best. The whole car seems cheaply built compared to my f150.
The transmission went out with less then 30,000 miles.
At least gm fixed it for free.
The "check fuel cap" comes on after every fuel fill up.
I would recommend any body looking for a midsize car to check out the Ford Fusion first. I think they have better quality and reliability. I would recommend a Malibu as a second option.

Relatively good gas mileage, drives and handles well, good exterior design, interior fairly well designed, nice wheel covers

Get rid of the "cheap" feel. Transmission? Seats are cheap. Add power seats. Trunk opening very small.

Moldy smell
By wi_native

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

When I first bought this car I really liked it.
I thought I got a lot of features at an ok price.
However the car has since developed a moldy smell in the heater & GM cannot/will not fix the problem.
I've taken it to 3 dealerships to try & fix this.
The original dealership refuses to admit there's a smell.
The 2 subsequant admit there's a moldy smell but refuse to fix it & suggested I take it back to the original dealership for repairs.
The last 2 places informed me that they might not get re-imbursed from GM for warranty work if some other dealer had already worked on the vehicle.

I'll never buy another GM product!!!

Good but not excellent
By docj1

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This LTZ is the first US car I've bought in over 30 years.
Its reviews were very good and it lives up to most of them.
For a 4-cylinder vehicle with modest power it is a lot of fun to drive.
It is extremely quiet inside at all speeds.
I get 25-26 mpg in a mix of largely suburban driving and I'm not easy on the throttle.

Where the car falls short is in the quality of interior materials and its fit and finish.
The interior plastics are extremely cheap, molded materials that scratch very easily. Interior trim pieces don't line up and snap together well.
The overall effect is well below the level of Honda and Toyota.

I love the Bluetooth connectivity--it works flawlessly with my Blackberry. The seats are quite comfortable and the heated seats and backs come up to temperature quickly on a cold day. A key factor in my decision to buy is the vehicle's ability to be towed behind an RV with all wheels "down." Very few cars with automatic transmissions can be towed in this manner. Given that I couldn't do this with most Honda's or Toyota's I am still satisfied with my purchase.

Upgrade interior materials to the level of the competition. The cheap plastics are bad reminders of the "old GM."

Excited at first, not anymore...
By michstangfan

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Off the bat, I loved this car. Wanted a nice looking car that was fun to drive and good on gas, not to mention affordable. Interior and exterior styling are great and you can't beat the price. After driving the car for only 3 months now, it has been a nightmare. Windshield leak warranted an entire replacement of the windshield, heated seats stopped working, security light randomly comes on, transmission glitches and needs to be serviced monthly, wood (plastic) trim pops out of its clips. Biggest problem, high beam headlamp already burnt out and you have to remove the entire front end to access the bulbs! Oh and oil changes, forget doing them yourself, you'll need a special tool.

Bluetooth, ambient lighting, leather/suede seats, lots of storage.

Cheap interior plastic scuffs easily, mileage is not as advertised unless you baby the car, reliability has been nothing short of terrible. Will be selling this car shortly and going back to my Ford. Can't stress this enough GM, quality, quality, quality! Never again...

Should not have purchased
By Tayotis Caldwell

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have always driven foreign cars and I decided to buy this car because of my president's speech about helping America. I love my president, but do not like this car. The value has dropped more then half in less then 3 years. I have taken this car in because of the door, center console and windows. I do not like this car and will soon trade it in for a foreign car. This car is terrible stay away!