Used 2009 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 188 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Moldy smell
By wi_native

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

When I first bought this car I really liked it.
I thought I got a lot of features at an ok price.
However the car has since developed a moldy smell in the heater & GM cannot/will not fix the problem.
I've taken it to 3 dealerships to try & fix this.
The original dealership refuses to admit there's a smell.
The 2 subsequant admit there's a moldy smell but refuse to fix it & suggested I take it back to the original dealership for repairs.
The last 2 places informed me that they might not get re-imbursed from GM for warranty work if some other dealer had already worked on the vehicle.

I'll never buy another GM product!!!

Good but not excellent
By docj1

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

This LTZ is the first US car I've bought in over 30 years.
Its reviews were very good and it lives up to most of them.
For a 4-cylinder vehicle with modest power it is a lot of fun to drive.
It is extremely quiet inside at all speeds.
I get 25-26 mpg in a mix of largely suburban driving and I'm not easy on the throttle.

Where the car falls short is in the quality of interior materials and its fit and finish.
The interior plastics are extremely cheap, molded materials that scratch very easily. Interior trim pieces don't line up and snap together well.
The overall effect is well below the level of Honda and Toyota.

I love the Bluetooth connectivity--it works flawlessly with my Blackberry. The seats are quite comfortable and the heated seats and backs come up to temperature quickly on a cold day. A key factor in my decision to buy is the vehicle's ability to be towed behind an RV with all wheels "down." Very few cars with automatic transmissions can be towed in this manner. Given that I couldn't do this with most Honda's or Toyota's I am still satisfied with my purchase.

Upgrade interior materials to the level of the competition. The cheap plastics are bad reminders of the "old GM."

Excited at first, not anymore...
By michstangfan

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

Off the bat, I loved this car. Wanted a nice looking car that was fun to drive and good on gas, not to mention affordable. Interior and exterior styling are great and you can't beat the price. After driving the car for only 3 months now, it has been a nightmare. Windshield leak warranted an entire replacement of the windshield, heated seats stopped working, security light randomly comes on, transmission glitches and needs to be serviced monthly, wood (plastic) trim pops out of its clips. Biggest problem, high beam headlamp already burnt out and you have to remove the entire front end to access the bulbs! Oh and oil changes, forget doing them yourself, you'll need a special tool.

Bluetooth, ambient lighting, leather/suede seats, lots of storage.

Cheap interior plastic scuffs easily, mileage is not as advertised unless you baby the car, reliability has been nothing short of terrible. Will be selling this car shortly and going back to my Ford. Can't stress this enough GM, quality, quality, quality! Never again...

Should not have purchased
By Tayotis Caldwell

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have always driven foreign cars and I decided to buy this car because of my president's speech about helping America. I love my president, but do not like this car. The value has dropped more then half in less then 3 years. I have taken this car in because of the door, center console and windows. I do not like this car and will soon trade it in for a foreign car. This car is terrible stay away!

If You Are Short Read On
By LoveChevy

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I am 5' 2". I have the seat all the way up and almost completely forward. The steering is QUICK. Driving a GEO Prizm for many years was very different. Blind spots left and right passenger. As you can see I don't drive much but I have been told it is a car that can rack up the mileage and is still very dependable. Drove from PA to NM and it was very comfortable.

5 Star Crash Rating. Just beautiful. Interior is great to look at and all the instruments are easy to reach. The LT2 has heated seats.

Blind spot for everyone is the left and right rear. This is due to making the car a 5 Star Crash Rating so this may not be something that can be corrected as 5 Star is very important. Give it Hill Hugger as taking foot off break you go forward and backward even on level ground.