Used 2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews - 188 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Disappointed
By tray529

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I was attracted to this vehicle because of the exterior looks. The malibu turns out to be somewhat of a disappoinment. The interior feels closed in- not much room. There is not much room in the rear for passengers.
The trimming is coming apart from the dash. Multiple blind spots. The seats seem to 'attract' stains.
The excelleration is poor. The steering is quick. No sudden jerks on the wheel.

3rd Malibu, Dissapointed
By randy394

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I’ve been such a fan of Malibus that this was my 3rd one (also owned ’04 and ’06 Malibu LTs), but sadly, I’m not very satisfied this time around. At first, I was in love with this car. However, after 9 months, that satisfaction has turned to disappointment.

Don’t get me wrong, there are many positives to the car. For starters, the car looks fantastic. The leather/suede seats are quite comfortable and the controls are easy to use. The quality of interior materials is nice as well. That’s where the positives end, unfortunately.

My biggest frustration is probably the trunk. The opening is extremely small. I bought a new printer and the box wouldn’t fit. I also couldn’t fit my suitcase in it. Plus, the trunk floor is so weak that it sags down into the spare tire. The performance is disappointing. Granted, I came from a V6 201HP to this I4 169HP, but this car is very sluggish. Its adequate, but doesn’t hold a candle to my ’04 and ’06 models. The stereo isn’t anything to brag about either. It’s clear, but lacks any umph. Also, a minor nuisance is the controls for the heated seats digs into my left leg. Lastly, there are many blind spots, especially in the rear.

Malibu 2009
By waistband

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car in 2010 and haven't looked back
runs great not a glitch anywhere. the main reason for buying this car was gas milage. on hwy i get about 6.6/100 . i have 60.000 ks on the car the only thing i replaced were the front tires, had the brakes checked at the same time and there were only half worn. I did look at the fusion, but price wise the mailbu was cheaper.

2009 Malibu LTZ at 30K
By rbsj

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought a new LTZ with the 6-cylinder in June 2009.
It now has 30,000 miles on it and I would rate it excellent in almost every way.
I have had zero problems with it.
It has had no squeeks, rattles or operational problems of any nature.
It averages over 31 mpg on the highway going 75 mph, and is very zippy (252 hp in a car the weighs 3,400 lbs).

I would highly recommend the car.

The mpg on the highway, quietness of interior noise, and zippiness.

I wish the trunk opening was bigger. My driver and golf bag just squeeze in. Once in, it all works OK. I have carried four bags of clubs and four golfers to the course regularly.

Impressed and not impressed
By wynne19

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I needed a vehicle that got better fuel mileage. I traded my 06 F150 crew cab in for this car.
It has saved me alot of money so far.
It get's 27/city at best. The whole car seems cheaply built compared to my f150.
The transmission went out with less then 30,000 miles.
At least gm fixed it for free.
The "check fuel cap" comes on after every fuel fill up.
I would recommend any body looking for a midsize car to check out the Ford Fusion first. I think they have better quality and reliability. I would recommend a Malibu as a second option.

Relatively good gas mileage, drives and handles well, good exterior design, interior fairly well designed, nice wheel covers

Get rid of the "cheap" feel. Transmission? Seats are cheap. Add power seats. Trunk opening very small.