Used 2009 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 188 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Automatic doors lock me inside
By kirby16

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I bought my Malibu in March 2009. Started out great until winter. My doors started to bounce back open when shutting them. I took it to the garage and they said it just needed greased. I thought it was fixed (NOT). Shortly after the doors started to lock me inside. I pushed the OnStar button to unlock the doors and I could hear them unlock but the doors still would not open. My car has been in the garage multi times. 1) doors
2) transmission sensor (twice)
3) air bag sensor
4) tire pressure sensor
I'm ready to trade this Lemon in for a different vehicle.

OnStar - Turn by turn is wonderful

Nice Car for the Price.
By chevy4life1

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

We bought the car used at the Ford dealership where I work, so we were able to get less than what KBB suggested that it costs. We fell in love with the overall look to begin with. Both the sleak yet aggressive exterior and the luxury type interior.
We have made a long distance run across two states on vacation so far, since we bought the car a month ago. It performed very well on hwy, we averaged around 27-28 due to hills and stop and go traffic. With the 2.4L it was a hesitation getting up hills and accelerating, so I slapped a Jet Performance module on there and saw improvement with acceleration and horsepower.

I love both the front end and the rear look of the car. Also the stylish wood grain on the interior. The instrument cluster seems better made, compared to what I was use to seeing in GM cars. The car rides like a dream and the steering is smooth.

The body reinforcement needs improving, the rear bumper is very flexible, not sturdy compared to other manufacturers. As mentioned by another the drink holders are positioned in wrong place between front seats. Also with other GM products simple repairs are made hard due to manufacturing, (headlights replacing a bulb...)

Worst Car I have Ever Owned!
By sthrn05stnggrl

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I bought this car new in Dec 2008. After having it just under a year, completely died on me when I was driving in my neighborhood. They had to replace a wiring harness in it. Then a year later the battery died. Another year later the car's transmission started to shift hard. They told me it was normal. I've had the car in & out of the shop since the end of January 2012, It is now almost the end of March and the car still is having issues. They replaced the torque converter, exhaust manafold, and the fuel injector wiring. Guess what? The car is now leaking pink fluid, hard shifting, and now there is a dull rattling sound coming from under the hood passenger side when ever the road is uneven

The interior is the only thing I like about this car

It is not reliable, to many electricle issues. Would not suggest anyone buy this car. We followed all the maintence schedules and had everything taken care of like we were suppposed and we have all of these horrible issues.

Bought and sold in under 2 months
By julie46

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Not at all impressed with the quality.
Had it in the shop 3 times and when we traded it in the pasenger door still wouldnt open. Replaced latches on drivers side also. Tie rods were replaced because they were loose. replaced steering geer box.
It thankfully was still under warrenty, but it only had 30,000 miles on it.
Interior design is poor, the cup holders are set to far back and the second one is about useless because it sets back part way under arm rest.
It looked nice and the mileage was excellent is the nice things I have to say.
Probably wont buy American again.

Mileage and looks. Gold mist in color looks nice and is Great for not showing dirt!!

Quality

best four door on the market
By eriebuckeye

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

i have 24k miles on it and it drives like a dream. i get 38 mpg hwy and about 28 city. big trunk space. i also own a cadillac cts and this rides even better than it.

smooth ride gas mileage blu tooth heated seats kick a$$ stereo 6 disc changer

be able to change your own head light