Used 2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews - 188 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Malibu for a day
By Mike C

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Yesterday I turned in a 2009 Malibu . I put 253 miles on this car in the Bay area. I handles the freeways well except the raised expansion joints on the 880. I had rented a 2009 camray the week before on the same route. In general the new malibu is a good car on its owns merits, in comparison to the camry, engine power similar, NVH similar..good!, Build quality similar. Interior a toos up. THe malibu has better seats hands down . The malibu has a very poorly designed Front door , entry and pillar arrangement. I am 6 foot tall and not fat. The B pillar has a plastic ledge seemingly designed to remove the rear pocket. I ruined a new pair pf slacks in this car. There is no need to this foolishness

Seats. Engine.

Fuel door should be marked as to which side on the interior. The aforementioned b Pillar. Plus all the door pillars are too fat and reduce visibility. Reduction would change this to a much more elegant design. Rethink AC controls. Allow AC to blow through defroster vent. Paint Quality below par.

Malibu as company car
By cjt

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I chose to get an '09 Malibu LT2 for my company vehicle, and I'm very happy with it. I've put over 40,000 miles on within 10 months and never had a problem. It is full of luxury options, and is sporty and comfortable to drive. In the past I've driven a '03 Jetta, '08 Grand Prix, and then this Malibu. The Malibu is my favorite by far. Overall, it just feels solidly constructed and of very high quality.

The bluetooth connectivity, XM radio, steering wheel controls, heated seats & mirrors, leather steering and shift nob, optional manual shifting, remote starter, external audio plug in for I- Pod. And last but not least, the blue "mood" lighting that shines down on shift area and inside door handles.

Nothing necessary, but I guess dual climate control would be nice. And while you're at it, throw in a navigation system. But then it would cost another $12,000!

satisfied owner
By chev owner

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have put 4500 miles on this car in less than 3 mo. Beautiful car. Exterior is as good as any European model. Interior is great. Took awhile to get use to the 6 spd auto trans its ok now. Think the 2.4engine might be a little too small for the tranny. If I was to do again would get larger engine. Fuel mileage not as good as advertised. Only 27-28 highway. Sort of unhappy about the fuel mileage as this is the main reason I purchased the car. I drive 60 miles highway per day. Best ever got was 30mpg. Very few things I would change. Love my chevy anyway.

Body panel fit is great, quality of interior is beautiful, looks like it was designed after the 69 vette interior. Head turner.

Would like to have a tranny similar to the VW, easy shifting on the floor. The paddle thing the chev has on the steering wheel is weird, I don't use it. The cup holders on the front doors is useless, Stuff spills when door is shut and I hit my feet on them getting out. Needs arm rest in back seat.

Still lacking milage and room
By Clint

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LTZ 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I love to support my American Cars but when I got a job traveling the east coast I opted to buy a Honda Accord. Recently our company forced us to use rental cars and we are stuck with this malibu. After driving around 500-680miles on a tank of gas to going to 400-475miles I was less than impressed. I'm 6'4" and this car is less roomy than my Accord.I feel extremely cramped while i'm sitting here typing this headed to florida from North Carolina (co-worker driving 1st shift). The car looks nice and runs well. Interior not so pretty but its a rental so I'll suffice. The radio is lacking features also. Steering is much sloppier than the accord. It does have a smooth ride too.

The Dash compartment is a very nice addition. The coloring on the instrument is very nice and easy on the eye.

The mileage range is less than accurate under normal operating conditions of an average consumer. Needs more room. Trunk space and cab space needs more room. The accord doesn't have a USB port on the radio. I would have loved that on these cars. So many devices use USB to charge.

Awesome Car
By Scott

2009 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I've had this car for 8 months and love everything about it. The styling and quality are great and it's perfect for a family of four. I also had the unfortunate experience of having another driver run a red light and hit my front end going about 30 mph. The Malibu performed quite admirably in the accident, definitely living up to the 5-star rating it received in crash tests. Thankfully, I walked away unharmed and my Chevy dealer was able to fix the car completely within a couple weeks. So far, I haven't noticed anything different about the car since the accident, which was four months ago. The performance of this car, before, during and after the accident has been great !

Styling, both interior and exterior, safety, very solid vehicle.

Larger cup holders....and more of them, would be nice !