Used 2009 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 189 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2009 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

great style
By ColoK

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I have had my Malibu for a couple of months now, and I have really enjoyed driving it. I get lots of compliments on the exterior styling. I like the interior accent lighting and so do passengers when they aren't fumbling for the door handle. I haven't experienced the advertised MPG, but also haven't taken any long road trips yet. I average 25-28 MPG around town and short trips.

Exterior styling, handling, auxiliary jack for the stereo, storage.

Arm rest in back seat.

Another failure
By JakeW

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT1 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

I expected much more for this epsilon ii designed architecture. What is noticeable is the implementation of foreign and outside influence into this car. Besides all of the effort gm put into this car, it still is a badly designed car that does not come close to the competition it inspired to reach to. Lack of engine efficiency, power. The dashboard is just hideous. The use of cheap plastics still makes me sick. Lack of features, unless you pay serious money to get it.

The design of the exo-skeleton is really modern. I guess the new chassis with high-strength steel designed in KOrea had a huge part into the chassis improvement.

Need lots, better stereo, better warranty, lower the price, better material quality, better ride characteristics, more consumer friendly.

Malibu for a day
By Mike C

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 4A)

Yesterday I turned in a 2009 Malibu . I put 253 miles on this car in the Bay area. I handles the freeways well except the raised expansion joints on the 880. I had rented a 2009 camray the week before on the same route. In general the new malibu is a good car on its owns merits, in comparison to the camry, engine power similar, NVH similar..good!, Build quality similar. Interior a toos up. THe malibu has better seats hands down . The malibu has a very poorly designed Front door , entry and pillar arrangement. I am 6 foot tall and not fat. The B pillar has a plastic ledge seemingly designed to remove the rear pocket. I ruined a new pair pf slacks in this car. There is no need to this foolishness

Seats. Engine.

Fuel door should be marked as to which side on the interior. The aforementioned b Pillar. Plus all the door pillars are too fat and reduce visibility. Reduction would change this to a much more elegant design. Rethink AC controls. Allow AC to blow through defroster vent. Paint Quality below par.

Malibu as company car
By cjt

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I chose to get an '09 Malibu LT2 for my company vehicle, and I'm very happy with it. I've put over 40,000 miles on within 10 months and never had a problem. It is full of luxury options, and is sporty and comfortable to drive. In the past I've driven a '03 Jetta, '08 Grand Prix, and then this Malibu. The Malibu is my favorite by far. Overall, it just feels solidly constructed and of very high quality.

The bluetooth connectivity, XM radio, steering wheel controls, heated seats & mirrors, leather steering and shift nob, optional manual shifting, remote starter, external audio plug in for I- Pod. And last but not least, the blue "mood" lighting that shines down on shift area and inside door handles.

Nothing necessary, but I guess dual climate control would be nice. And while you're at it, throw in a navigation system. But then it would cost another $12,000!

satisfied owner
By chev owner

2009 Chevrolet Malibu LT2 4dr Sedan (2.4L 4cyl 6A)

I have put 4500 miles on this car in less than 3 mo. Beautiful car. Exterior is as good as any European model. Interior is great. Took awhile to get use to the 6 spd auto trans its ok now. Think the 2.4engine might be a little too small for the tranny. If I was to do again would get larger engine. Fuel mileage not as good as advertised. Only 27-28 highway. Sort of unhappy about the fuel mileage as this is the main reason I purchased the car. I drive 60 miles highway per day. Best ever got was 30mpg. Very few things I would change. Love my chevy anyway.

Body panel fit is great, quality of interior is beautiful, looks like it was designed after the 69 vette interior. Head turner.

Would like to have a tranny similar to the VW, easy shifting on the floor. The paddle thing the chev has on the steering wheel is weird, I don't use it. The cup holders on the front doors is useless, Stuff spills when door is shut and I hit my feet on them getting out. Needs arm rest in back seat.