Used 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 104 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Good Car for the Price After 2 years
By lizzard

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This car is a nice size and the interior looks better than my Geo. I really like the faux wood look. I like the boxy look better than the previous Malibus. The MPG (about 26/32) has served me well in the last several months. I mostly drive to and from work and church and have only gone on 3 or 4 long trips. I have the bare bones version, so no OnStar or sunroof or ABS, but the car still runs very well. There is a rattle in the dash and my friend told me she heard a rattle in the back on top after she sat back there. The sun visor on the driver side does not go up properly. I haven't asked about getting anything fixed though. I miss manual trans sometimes, but overall this car makes me happy

Cruise control, price, MPG, comfortable, roomy, dependability, power windows and locks

Rattling noise fix, sun visor fix

I have 2
By rcran

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I have 2 '06 LS models bought a month apart. The only difference on mine is traction loc and ABS. I get 32mpg ave. city/hywy combined. My other one gets 34mpg combined. Mine has 35k the other is a little over 40k. Only problems have been to replace a sensor, and turn the front rotors on one and a replacement rod in the steering on the other, oh and one tail light...all covered by warranty. Great little car, lousy Bridgestone OE tires. Barely enough grip, the one with 40k+ will get new shoes soon.

Easy to steer and steering wheel tilts and goes in and out. Front and side air bags.

Better OE tires, both of mine have the same Bridgestones and they are barely adequate. Needs two more speakers and lumbar support for both front seats.

Nice car but has some problems
By bryan

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Have 70k miles on it, has a rattle that wont quit, remote start works most of the time but is getting worse, turns over just isnt firing. Electric power steering has completely quit working on a 250 mile trip, started working 10 miles from the dealership, quit working again today from work to home, they said since I have been reporting lots of the same problems they will fix it. They also told me one time at 40,000k that my injectors were leaking, they don't even now how the car works that they make, it idles high in mornings or when it's cold to warm up faster, and they wanted me to pay for it, it also eats the inside of the front tires like candy since it was new.

Sunroof, gas mileage

Fix the problems they know about

not a good deal in the long run
By horribu

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I leased a 2006 Malibu in July of 06 and have currently only put 18,000 miles on it. It has already had significant transmission problems and suspension and steering problems. The windshield leaks, the cd player broke, the interior trim was gouged by a cardboard box! I am dissappointed in every way with this car. Initially I liked the exterior styling and the price, but I truly wish I had gotten something else. Now I am stuck with this car that is not as good as used cars I drove in college until my lease is up. I recently purchased a 2nd car from Nissan that is vastly Superior in quality and was the same price

If I have to pick a "favorite" thing about this vehicle it would be exterior styling.

It doesn't matter what improvements were made with the 08 Malibu, since I am not planning on purchasing another GM vehicle (even though I get the employee discount) I suppose it all comes down to poor quality though.

Doesn't stand out, but very good overall
By Submariner

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After six months of ownership, I am very pleased with my 2006 Malibu LT V6. My two previous cars were a 1998 Malibu LS V6, and then a 2002 Ford Taurus SE. Compared to the 98, this picks up where they left off, the engine, going from the 3.1L to the 3.5L is great! The fuel mileage is fantastic (I average 450 miles out of a 16-gal tank on pure highway driving, whereas the Taurus was lucky to get 400 out of an 18-gal tank, and the Taurus had a smaller engine!) I thought the engine-transmission combination on the Malibu could use some extra gears, to keep up with the competition, but the transmission in the 2006 Malibu mates beautifully and provides excellent power on demand.

Interior fit & finish is a step in the right direction, the 2006 refresh steering wheel, chrome gauge & radio/climate control trim really set off the all- black interior. Ergonomics are great as well as the tilt/telescoping steering wheel. Great for long trips, awesome gas mileage.

Could benefit from standard power seats and foglights on the LT trim at the least. Also, would be nice with more gears on the transmission.