Used 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 104 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Great
By mnfish

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Bought car used in 2007 for $12,400 with 18k. Been driving it for over three years at 30k miles a year. Have 109k on it now and have had no issues. Replaced brakes once, tires once and had two easy fixes, one for a wheel bearing (covered under the power train warranty) and another steering linkage replacement, covered under warranty as well. Car is fun to drive, has plenty of get up and go with the 2.2 4cyl. The under coating has also started to go, and I have some surface rust in the wheel well started, but this is due to some paint being chipped.

Great power for the 2.2. Great gas mileage (30-35 on the highway).

undercoating could be improved, steering linkage could be improved. Makes noise but this doesn't affect the car, just has some play in the linkage.

Check the undercoating
By laurel

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I noticed last year that the black undercoating was just peeling away from the rear tire walls..and a few months later from the front! what the hell? of course its no longer under warranty, and got no where with gm. so there is no rust proofing left, am waiting for it to rust out from under me, being in the northeast, it will happen. Im thinking I should sell it before that happens and buy a toyota. I'm sure the 7 year rust through warranty has a catch, so we will see. The dealer will charge me a couple hundred bucks to fix the problem. I'm not sure what to do at this point but there is my rant!

It is reliable

undercoat better! make the plastic a little tougher so everything doesn't need to be superglued back together.

Great College Car
By Dash

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car right before heading off to college for my freshman year. I had previously been driving a 1996 Audi A6 and it was nothing but trouble. After struggling with owning an aging European car, I decided to spring for a much cheaper-to-fix American car. Got a pretty good deal financing it and I haven't looked back. Handles better than the A6 (read: less like a tank) and has quite a bit more "oomph" behind it. The Fuel efficiency is great, I average around 30 highway and 27 city. As someone that commutes to a college 400+ miles away, it's great having a car that will always get me there reliably. Made the 8 hour trip 20+ times now and not a single problem. Consider me switched.

Reliable, up to 60,000 miles an no issues in sight. Good fuel efficiency Quick on its feet

The Interior is rather plain (obviously) lacks a few of the bells and whistles I was accustomed to.

Worth the money
By David Leptich

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car in July 2006 with 13,000 miles. I now have 87,000 miles and am looking at my first set of brakes and new tires. I have had some front end work done both under warranty and last year for tie rods. This car gets about 34 miles to the gallon on rural roads. The interior controls are well placed and good to use when driving. The seats are comfortable in the front and serviceable in the back. Trunk room is good and the rear seats fold down for extra cargo room. I paid $13,500 used and I am pleased with the car.

34 mpg and good handling.

The front end seems to need to much service for 87,000 miles.

Like it a lot!
By jojodancer

2006 Chevrolet Malibu SS 4dr Sedan (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

Interior could use some spicing up, it handles very well, kinda BAD on gas averaging 19.5 mpg (city & highway)but I guess that comes with those SS badges. Very fun to drive! Did have some issues with the intake manifold gaskets, be sure to have them checked out b4 purchase or be SURE to get an extended warranty that covers gaskets and other small inside of the engine parts.

exterior looks great, people love CHEVY SS's

engine efficiency, more power and less gas, like every other car LOL