Used 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 104 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Worst car ever (And I have had some real winners!)
By snowwhite24

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this 2006 Malibu LT in January of 2009 with about 60,000 miles on it. So far...front shocks replaced, crack in the intake manifold fixed, controller arms replaced, rear shocks replaced, new tires 3 times in 3 years, etc. Just last week, had head replaced and now they are saying it is actually a crack in the engine block. Car needs a whole new motor. The windshield buzzes because the cowel (sp?) piece is warped. It eats CD's and won't give them back. This car has been the bane of my existence for the last 3 years. I would never ever ever recommend anyone buy a Malibu. And GM just lost a repeat customer. I will never buy GM again. I have had enough.

There is nothing exceptionally special about this car except what a big pile of junk it turned out to be. I owned a Lumina prior to this and that was by far the best car I have ever owned. When did GM start making such horribly crappy cars?

Scrap it and start over.

Bye Bye GM - update
By chevylemon02

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Well, I finally got out from underneath this piece of junk, money pit!!!! I can no longer support "buy American" due to GM and their inadequate skills in producing a quality built vehicle not to mention their lack of customer service and not standing behind their warranties! Maybe this should be directed solely to the dealership in Rochester, NY on Ridge Rd and not GM as a whole but in any event their practices are shady at best and due to them, I will never, ever buy a GM vehicle again!! PS.......loving my new NISSAN ALTIMA!

After all is said and done.....the rear defroster is about the only thing on this car that I didn't have a problem with. It actually worked!

Stand behind your so called warranties and educate your employees on customer service.

great car
By vtfarmboy

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LS Fleet 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car used with about 20,000+ miles four years ago. I have been driving it daily ever since and other than a new set of tires had no problems what so ever. well almost. The gas tank sending unit was not working when i bought it. The dealer told me to set up a apointment to get it fixed i just never did it. That is not the cars fault. It drives nice and is comfortable for my commute. I live 45 miles from my work and it is quite good on gas. I average anywhere between 28 and 34 mpg with a V6 not bad if you ask me. It aint pretty, it isnt Hot but if you are looking for good dependable every day transportation that wont bleed you dry its just what you need!

trip computer, Good sound from the stereo,

It aint pretty could use a face lift.

Safe, Reliable, and Fun Car
By randy394

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

It's been an excellent car overall. Have 58K miles right now and the only problem I've ever had is some exhaust gasket that needed to be replaced for $50 (which included labor).

It handles very well, even during North Dakota winters. The 3.5L V6 has more than enough power for merging and passing and gets as good of gas mileage as many 4 cylinders do.

The factory stereo is one of the best I've ever heard for a family sedan - although the rear speakers aren't the greatest. They sound a bit "spongy".

Just a side note... most of the bad reviews I've read are about the Maxx. Not sure why there'd be that big of a difference, but it is something I've noticed.

3.5L 200HP V6 that has great power AND fuel economy, TAPShift Manual Shifting, factory stereo sounds great, Driver Information Center

I don't know why they put the Driver Information Center in the radio. I considered replacing the stereo so I could have an AUX jack, but it costs a lot of extra money to buy an adapter to keep the DIC features.

All bad rewiews correct steering
By Toyotafan

2006 Chevrolet Malibu LTZ 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car for my wife since her 1996 Ford Taurus was on its last leg. So we drove a used Malibu. Seemed great compared to what we had and a decent price. 1 month later the steering had a knock in it when you turned the wheel parked or at low speeds. Very common problem in many Chevy trucks as well. Dealer ship did a quick fix, and 2 months later it reappeared. Now if I want piece of mind for a real fix $500. Chevrolet has gone down hill with products over last 10 years. Do not buy this car unless you have no other choice. Great power from engine is only good quality about it.

Engine

Drive train, steering, interior, how about a quick retirement option for this model.