Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 175 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

decent used car
By David C.

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it used for my teenage daughter last year and it's been good basic transportation for her. It has plenty of pep to get out into traffic (but not too much for a teenager!) and gets pretty good mileage if driven conservatively. However, it suffers from typical mediocre GM quality/design problems : sometimes the A/C doesn't work, sometimes the info display (radio, clock, mileage, etc.) goes black, cheap plastic parts are breaking, brake pads needed replacing, one strut is going bad, CDs get stuck in the CD player, etc. Pretty much what I'd expect from a 4- year old GM.

pretty good mileage for a 6-cyl, reasonable interior room, good sized trunk, decent used-car value

better quality, reliabiliy and styling. Sounds like the new Malibu might have these improvements.

No more please
By Miked

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've owned this car for three, years, will not buy another American owned mfg. Again. Car has clunked since day one like my envoy I traded in, replaced just about everything so far, and now the directional bulbs blow out weekly. The car is joke, buy a 12 pack because you will need them, and now the shifter for the lower gears don't work. Just what you need in tough economic times, more repair bills.

none

problems w/ engine only 71000 miles
By asdfg123

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I did not have problems within the first 3 years of purchasing the vehicle..Then one day the vehicle starting making a clicking noise...They say the >>cam--??-- valve>>> went in the engine. Jasper is saying that in 2005 the engines were made differently and now they are breaking down around 70000 miles....so they want you to buy a new engine.....There is no recall even though they knew it would be a problem in the future....Not everyone can afford a new engine when on a limited budget....if these manufactures knew there was a problem why no recall......

improve the engine......should not be having problems less than 72000 miles...

Caution, I wouldnt buy another one
By T. Bronk

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this car brand new in late 2004. I had it for about three months, when the steering gears needed replacement. About a year and 1/2 later, I had the same issue. Again, replaced the steering gears and guess what is wrong again. Not to mention I have already had the heater unit replaced and now the AC unit doesnt work. For the money, you get a good deal, but for the value, I dont think so. It's funny, I bought a Mazda & Chevy from this dealer, and when I asked them which 1 they thought I have brought into the shop the most, they said the Mazda. WRONG 7 years NO ISSUES. Chevy Malibu on the other hand... Going to head out and trade in this junk car, Now I know why they are going belly up

None

For Chevy to review the many websites that clearly show the issues and make a fix for them. Or at least stand behind their product

Very fine car!
By Bob in CO

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought mine from my credit union as an ex-rental car with under 20K miles. I drive approximately 20K miles/year, mostly highway miles. This car has been great. I have the LS with the V6 engine. It is very comfortable, gets approximately 28mpg combined city/highway, and around 31-32mpg with strictly highway driving. The traction control works VERY well on snowy Colorado roads. The engine has been trouble free (I now have approximately 70K miles on it), with nothing more than normal maintenance having been necessary to date. The body is free of noises and rattles, and the seats are VERY comfortable, especially on long drives. The trunk is huge, and easy to access,

Comfort, powerful V6, and great MPG. Driver Information Center (DIC) provides lots of information and allows changing functions of the keyless entry remotes.

The spare tire well in the trunk cannot hold a full-size spare. I don't know if that was changed in later years, but hopefully it was.