Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews - 175 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

glad tidings
By larry

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

we all expect the best and this malibu has performed much better than average. one complaint that i have is mileage odometer is off reads about 103+ miles for every 100 chev says this is not unreasonable and won't fix. i have had turn signal bulbs burn out but replaced with heavy duty no problems.

powerful engine, smooth automatic, remote start,electric steering,power peddles,gas mileage 35 mpg after correcting for error. conservative style ok for me.

cloth seats could be upgraded. odometer should be more accurate. if car was couple of inches wider in rear seating better to seat three.

First car
By Chris

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used, and the main purpose is to get me from work and back. This is my first car, and after training in other vehicles I can say that I fit in this car very comfortably, more so than my folks old Cougar, my friend's new Solara, or the last Sentra I sat in. I've had other Chevy owners (mostly pickups) call it cute, and then look shocked when they see a 6'2" football build guy come out of it. The sound is great, everything works just fine. Passing cars in Upstate NY's hilly roads is an everyday thing so I love the V6 engine and the power behind it. The safety features (ABS, Traction Control, Multiple airbags, passive anti-theft, etc) assured the folks that I'd be just fine.

Radio (and it's many different functions), Sunroof, power everything, Safety features (see above), fuel economy beats out other more recent cars, great feel to the car, simple and unique outer design, comfortable to drive.

I know the compass addition has been said before (and that it's available in the Maxx) but it'd be nice. From what I've heard it doesn't take custom- burned CDs very well, unless there's a trick to it. The semi-manual transmission mode I saw on a friend's Mazda6 would have made a sweet addition here.

Wrong Car
By Simone

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my 2005 Chevy Malibu in May 2006. My chevy has about 68000 thousand miles on it. Within in having it 2 weeks I had to take it back to have the rotors turned. I have had to replace front rotors, the right control arm, have a heating panel remove to stop it from making noise. I have also had the ishaft in the steering fixed three times. The gearing has been replaced, and the water pump has had to be replaced. Most of this was after the warranty expired of course. Now I have complained to GM about the steering issue, and all they are willing to give me is a 15% discount off having it fixed. This car was certified and had low mileage. I will never buy another Chevrolet vehicle.

Great car for midwest weather
By Brajesh

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Bought my Malibu with 19K miles on it. I now have 58K on it. I bought Malibu as I always wanted to try an American car. I have not been disappointed. In last 4 yrs I never had any maintenance job on this car. I have driven to places like Green Bay from Chicago with heavy snow but the car has done very well. With outside temp of -40 F, the car starts in 1-2 try. I was amazed by it. I don't know about other GM cars but I would surely recommend Malibu to anyone who wants a midsize.

Fuel economy, smooth drive with cruise control, good road grasp on slippery roads (rain/snow), excellent power steering.

2005 model looks are dull. Subsequent Malibu looks are very good. Interior color combination could have been better.

dont buy gmc
By patriotic gal

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I too will not buy another one, Chevy of any kind, does not hold resell. The inside is built shoddy, carpet has holes. Have replaced ignition twice in 6 months, power window motor went out and was so called fixed at dealer, shoddy job, air condition control has to be repaired .