Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews - 175 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Truly the perfect sedan
By casper21

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

My 2005 Chevy Malibu has 56,500 miles and has never given me any problems, barring the occasional Malibu moment. The 2.2L 4-cylinder engine is surprsingly robust and highway passing is not as difficult as it generally is with these type of engines. The interior, while considered boring by many, is to me just practical enough without being completely ugly. The cargo space, both in the passenger cabin and the trunk is very surprising. Several employees at department stores have doubted that large objects could indeed fit in my spacious trunk, but they were also surprised that a full-size outdoor grill slid in with ease. Overall, my only complaint about the car is the lack of reading lamps.

The 25/35 gas mileage in a car the size of the Malibu is hard to come by.

There are no reading lamps or cruise control on the base model, both EXTREMELY normal features.

Good Car LS V6
By mwilliams9

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

two yaers done me good so far But if it's hard to start when hot hit the gas while cranking if it don't twince. My radio just went out got A Refurbished for $185 works good now. the staring wheel got tight once coming out one tight parking space. I put in park and hit gas a littie never had that proplem agan. My wife share this car drop me off and go home and go to work and pick me up 60 miles a day alway ready to go.

Remoate Start

The remoate brake's eazy need a scew in it to hold it togather all ready on therd one. I Keyless.com got good ones.

286,000 miles and still going
By ramarado

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Most inexpensive car I've ever owned. Absolutely no unexpected issues. Normal brake and tire wear about 80k miles each, 1 set of spark plugs, 1 belt, 2 tie rod ends and 1 battery. I've used Mobile 1 and change oil at 9k, and had the trans. serviced twice. As you've guessed I drive for my job a lot, and I don't baby it. V-6 Fuel mileage averages about 34 highway, 28 overall. Would consider a trade but afraid I can't find a more dependable car.

Reliability, fuel mileage, peppy.

none really

Needs Work
By Trish

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this car with 26K miles on it and now has 70K. It has had a starter issue since purchase keep saying nothing wrong and wont fix. Lights burn out constantly, now the body control module has gone out. Great fuel economy, smooth ride, fun car, just has to many problems for the price I paid. I'm hoping the body control module solves all the electrical problems going on because I could not even drive the car while waiting the last 3 weeks for the backordered part to come into the dealer. Also this part can only be installed by the dealer because of programing my cheaper mechanic can not do it. I'm not thrilled, most likely will go foreign next time around.

Fuel economy, comfort.

Electrical, lighting

Best for My Money
By Bigbassdrum60

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I bought this Malibu in 2005 right off the lot new. It has never ever failed me. Great on mileage and I am averaging over 28 mpg with it. It owes me nothing. Comfortable, built well and except for the brakes, Disc in front and Drums in rear getting hard spots and will need to be turned)I have no issues with this car. Best car I bought for the money. Last year it got me through the snow when my wife's Volvo S-80 wouldn't. Great traction with the tires I am using in snow. I suggest using Bridgestone Blizack tires on this car for added snow performance.

Looks and mileage

Brakes, need to be reconfigured and the compartment noise level, could have been better insulated for noise.