Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 175 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Best gas mileage in V6, has high torque
By steineri

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Great acceleration and gas mileage. Perhaps most importantly nowadays, it gets MUCH better gas mileage than it's competitors. The horsepower looks slightly lower than some other V-6 cars in its class but most other cars list their hp at really high rpm's (i.e. 6000+). The Malibu's 3.5 liter v-6 has a LOT more torque (which is what matters) than the engine's of its competitors. I literally get 38mpg on interstate trips with mostly flat driving when I drive conservatively.

Powerful yet fuel efficient v-6

Make the cloth interior look better for those of us who don't want to spend thousands of dollars on leather.

If not fun, then at least reliable
By Gary

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought the car slightly used, a program car. The LS was the mid level car in 2005, and mine is loaded, 4 wheel disc brakes with ABS, traction control, etc. It goes down the road comfortably and quietly, and is a very nice ride. I like most everything on the car, with the exception of the electic power steering. This is a car that I can be comfortable in, even with the sunroof. I owned a 1998 Malibu earlier, and had nothing but problems with it. This redesigned Malibu, I'm hoping, will cure that bad taste left by my previous car. I think I'm going to enjoy my new Malibu. It appears to be well crafted, well put together, if not spectacular. It is a good, midsized, American car.

Lots of power from this 3.5L engine, and the remote start, traction control, and four wheel disc brakes are welcome in this class of car.

I don't like the electic power steering. It doesn't feel right to me. I'd prefer to see Chevy go back to hydraulic, or fine tune the electric so that it isn't as twitchy.

Great Basic Commuter Car
By psece

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

Needed a safe mid-size car that got great mileage. Mostly used for commuting but will carry the family on the weekends. I have over 8,000 miles on it and it has never gotten under 27 mpg. My commute is 50/50 freeway/city streets so I am very happy with the mileage. It is a very quiet car and the 4 cylinder never has me wanting more. The chasis is very european in its ride qualities with a taunt ride. This car does everything that I need of it well.

Simple control layout. Ride. Room. Trunk space. MPG.

Could use the new 6 speed transmission with the 4 cylinder Ecotec. Electric steering too artificial.

Excellent Car... GM Finally Got it Right
By EDK

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car because I had accumulated some GM credit card points. My last two cars were German VW cars, but after reading the safety reviews I decided to purchase a GM car. With almost seven months of riding this car I love it. In fact, when the lease is over I probably will replace it with another Malibu. The car is spacious on the inside, and is full of great accessories. I especially like the heated seats and the OnStar system.

Heated seats, automated head lights and the OnStar system

Compass on the mirror would be a good addition. Full size spare tire would also be appreciated.

Much improved from older models
By mike kercher

2005 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

My wife and I traded in our 2002 Malibu and purchased a new 2005 Malibu. Overall it is much improved over the older model.The only thing we were dissapointed in was that the new model we purchased did not have ABS brakes and was a 4 cyl.

Speed senstive steering