Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 175 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Average midsize car
By davidwli

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased my 05 4 months ago. I've been in for repairs for 3 items; 1/ Loose front left strut that was replaced. 2/ Shifter assembly was replaced , the manual shift mode was inoperative. 3/ Rattling sound in the steering column, It's true that GM says they do not have an effective repair yet for this problem. Hopefully the car will be reliable from now otherwise I will sell it when the warranty expires. I decided to buy the Malibu and save the 4 to 5 thousand dollars over what a comparable '05 import would have cost. The car is a great deal used but I wouldn't buy it new as the depreciation is high.

Ride, handling, fuel economy, V-6 power,room, seat comfort, body stiffness, adjustable pedals, driver info center

Improve the styling and overall reliability.Improve elecric steering feel. Eliminate front folding passenger seat rattle. Fix the steering column rattle.

Great Gas Mileage!
By MY

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car is great! The gas mileage is fantastic, 29-30 in mixed driving and 34-36 on the highway, with the V6! This engine is no slouch either! There are no funny noises or rattles, only quiet. Fit and finish are excellent. Very comfortable and plenty of room. I would recommend this car to anyone. Check it out before you spend too much on a Camry or Accord.

Awesome stereo system. XM radio and sunroof. Leather seats are very comfortable. Big trunk. Fantastic gas mileage!

Compass in the mirror.

Maxx's Review
By 05 Maxx

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I own an '05 Malibu Maxx Hatchbox, I get fabulous gas mileage in this car. My last trip to New Orleans from Fort Worth Texas, I filled up with 15 gallons of premium gas (I fill up with premium all the time) my Malibu averaged 37.6 mpg. I saw a Mercedes commercial. If I were to buy a 50,000 e class diesel you can get 37 mpg, well let me tell you one thing ( my Malibu didn't cost me half that and I'm getting more than what their 50,000 car does on mpg. Well back to what I was typing, I filled up once on my trip to N.O. and still had nearly 200 plus miles to go! This car packs the punches at the red lights and haul's (you know what) on the highway when I'm being a bad boy.

I love the DIC, skylights even though I don't sit in the back seats. The sound system is better than the sound system in my partners 05 Taurus that's fully loaded. The best feature of course is the 3.5 litre V-6.

Can we get the engine that's in the SS Malibu as an option?

No comparison to the former Malibu
By Patrick

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

After 3 weeks of many test drives and research the decision was far too obvious. My LS has 16,000Kms, the full airbag package, ABS, traction control, V6, OnStar. Safety rated as one of the top 6 cars and the only North American car on the list! It keeps good company with Lexus, VW, Saab, Subaru. My decision was based on safety, price, and fun to drive-ness. I got way more than that! The fit and finish on the exterior metal is amazing. It's a classy undiscovered jewel in a sea of hype and look-alikes! Check out the new Malibu. Saying its new & improved doesnt begin to do it justice. This is the best car I've ever owned, and there's been a lot!

Contrary to a lot of reviews, I like the unique looks and the electric steering. I think both are a bit too out of the ordinary or progressive for some. The solid feel, handling and quietness on the road are all excellent. The car is fun to drive, smooth, powerful, and economical. A true bargain!

MP3 and auxillary input capability on the audio system! Softer cloth for the seats. The muffler is too visible, it hangs too low.

Back to the drawing board
By mooser

2005 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

As soon as I hit 5,000 miles all went wrong.Terrible noise and klunking in front end effects how car drives but according to GM not a safety concern.Car is getting worse over time. Dealership tells me they have orders from GM not to look at front end.GM tells me to be patient they will have a solution in 3 months or so. No biggie only dealing with this since Feb. GM not helpful at all! Now I am leaking gas out of the engine. At 6,000 miles I needed a whole new exhaust system and the steering column replaced after the steering locked up on me driving to work. But hey GM says it is safe to drive! Now the car just sits in my driveway no way I am placing my family in this car or any other GM Car

Can you say recall