Used 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews - 241 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Great Car that saves Money!
By bl45

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I am proud that my car continues to run beyond 120,000 miles with no critical repairs necessary. It consistently gets 32 MPG and saves money compared to most domestic sedans.
The interior features are practical and easy to use.
I would recommend this vehicle to anyone!

i still love my car but..........
By Won't buy another

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Electrical system had a gremlin in it, idiot lights went off for no reason. Occasionally the radio turns on inside the car while you unlock the doors without engine running. Hood latch replaced, auto start wouldn't work, trunk latch replaced, inside trunk button stopped working, trunk lock stuck so you can't open the trunk any of the 3 ways. Service couldn't fix. On my 2nd key fob now and the door unlock doesn't work so thats 2 out of 4 buttons that are useless. Fob is junk drop it a few times and the battery clip inside breaks off. In tank gas gauge is broken. Fill the tank, dash gauge say empty, gas tank low, dash gauge says full. Stirring column replaced. Dealer says it needs it again. Horn shorted

Driver control display, cruise control, auto start ride

use better parts to build the cars or lower the price.car was a disappointment after 2 yr now I'm stuck with it for now

6 Year Review
By Spud90

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I recorded my review in 11/24/2003 when I owned the car for 1 month. In the last 6 years I have put only 32,000 miles on. I have read the other reviews and am drawn to the poor ratings. With the exception of the steering column (first year of electric power), I have had no major problems with the car. I just replaced the original tires at 30,000 miles, had an alignment done, and it runs like it is new again. I agree with other posts that it tends to eat an unusual amount of turn signal lights, which is a minor annoyance because it takes time to replace them. Otherwise, I am still impressed with the quiet ride, the power, and the highway gas mileage (34-35 mpg with the cruise set at 75+).

The quiet, the power, and the highway fuel economy. I also like the remote start and automatic climate control. Winter or summer, start it from the house and by the time you get in it is comfortable. It even has the brains to start defrosting the windshield, rear window, and the mirrors.

I think the newest generation Malibu improves what is already a good car. The dash in my 04 Malibu looks like it came out of a mid 70's Detroit car. That is my biggest complaint. Wish it had a 6-speed automatic, but GM didn't think of them back then.

Last American Car
By Neveragain

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought this car new. Gas cap pressure seal has broke twice. At 300 miles and at 36001 miles (dealer wouldn’t cover second….1 mile over ) Stock tires went off at only 15000 miles Blows turn signal bulbs a lot (24 in 7 years) Rear caliper broke (left hand side) 20, 000 miles Left hand ball joint (can’t replace just ball joint have to replace lower control arm) 40,000 miles Lots of bugs, turned on car with remote start……radio came on, has never done it again. Remote start used to start at 100 yards, today it won’t at 10 feet…..battery changed in remote….still 10 feet Remote broke three times (poorly made) Passenger seat heater…..comes on by it’s self Gas mileage used to be 32 highway,

Cute, but glad I got the warranty
By TheGirlWithTheMalibu

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I researched for about two months before purchasing my 2004 Chevy Malibu. I found the Malibu to be the best fit for me, a traveling college bound student. The car its self handles very well and I always have fun driving it. The fuel economy isn't the greatest, at 23 mpg, but not worth complaining about. Shortly after I bought it, I realized the windshield wiper fluid didn't work when the button was pushed and the seat didn't work. I'm having issues with it starting slowly. Although I'm not sure if this is do to the car, or the Cleveland cold weather. My sister got stuck in the passenger side because the door wouldn't open from the inside. Great car, but I'm glad I got the warranty.

Handling, it's fun to drive. Look, it's an attractive car. It's pretty fuel efficient. It's quiet on the highway.

Honestly, it not starting up till the forth try is kind of scaring me. It's also got huge blind spots when I'm driving.