Used 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews - 239 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Worst car I have owned.
By jay3239

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This is by far the worst car that I have ever owned. I have had issue after issue with it. Everytime I fix one thing, 2 more things go wrong!

Great car
By sigmachi152

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my malibu new back in 2004 and so i've had it for nearly 9 years and has a little over 98K miles on it. I bought it because it was one of the better cars that had great mpg's at the time. Overall it has been a pretty reliable car. I read that several people had to change the light bulbs on it numerous times. This is the only issue i've had with mine as well. I think I have had to replace the same bulb about 6 times in 9 years. Its a random annoyance but beats most other issues you can have with a car. I just replaced the spark plugs this weekend since it is close to 100K....6 iridium plugs and cables cost just under $80.

23 city and 33-35 on the highway. At nearly 100K routine maintenance is fairly inexpensive.

The first month i had the car both plastic vanity mirror covers broke off in my hand. Not covered under warranty and dealer wanted $75 each to replace them....$75 for a piece of plastic...really?!?!?! Other than that the car has been great. No major issues at all with the car.

Fabric on Doors Peeling/ seat is malfunctioning
By kgwcoffee

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LT 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my chevy for almost 6 years. The Drivers seat has broken won't sit straight and moves around. This which I feel is dangerous, will cost 1000.00 to fix. CHEVY DOES NOT COVER THIS DEFECT. The panel door trim fabric is peeling off because the glue and
fabric has broke down and fabric was cut to small and has shrunk. This will cost 700 for the 2 front and 150 to patch-450 to replace the rear/ chevy does not make anymore by the way. This is a popular model of car. Why do they not make them anymore? Could the glue be defective? CHEVY DOES NOT COVER THIS DEFECT and colision places wont patch they will only replace because the doors are PAPER so odds are any new glue will not stick

It has been a great car 8 years old and 74,000 miles on it it has had very little problems other than what I've mentioned that you wouldn't expect on any vehicle.

Had to replace fobs because they break when you try to change the battery- although they are very costly to replace and the dealer has to program for extra expense - I called chevy about the problem with the seat and interior the nice customer service person repeated not their problem the car is 8 years old, I fear this will be my last CHEVY.

Great Car that saves Money!
By bl45

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

I am proud that my car continues to run beyond 120,000 miles with no critical repairs necessary. It consistently gets 32 MPG and saves money compared to most domestic sedans.
The interior features are practical and easy to use.
I would recommend this vehicle to anyone!

i still love my car but..........
By Won't buy another

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Electrical system had a gremlin in it, idiot lights went off for no reason. Occasionally the radio turns on inside the car while you unlock the doors without engine running. Hood latch replaced, auto start wouldn't work, trunk latch replaced, inside trunk button stopped working, trunk lock stuck so you can't open the trunk any of the 3 ways. Service couldn't fix. On my 2nd key fob now and the door unlock doesn't work so thats 2 out of 4 buttons that are useless. Fob is junk drop it a few times and the battery clip inside breaks off. In tank gas gauge is broken. Fill the tank, dash gauge say empty, gas tank low, dash gauge says full. Stirring column replaced. Dealer says it needs it again. Horn shorted

Driver control display, cruise control, auto start ride

use better parts to build the cars or lower the price.car was a disappointment after 2 yr now I'm stuck with it for now