Used 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 241 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Chevy Malibu 2004
By Rayney O

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car is super spacious, easy to drive, and a great option for a first-time car owner. On the down side, the car shuts off randomly when braking, The tire rods extensions are not the most durable, the traction when braking pretty unreliable (the cars skids easily when braking in rain and snow

Sporty Little Boo
By Sharon

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought my 2004 Malibu new. She's just a youngster at 48,000 miles (mechanics, techs, others LOVE her and would take her in a heartbeat!). I just purchased a brand new 2017 Equinox and really like it, but miss the acceleration of my Malibu (that I'm keeping). And next to the 2017, the '04 Malibu looks just about as new - original paint and all! She's gonna' be with me for a while. Not much has gone wrong - sway bars replaced, driver's seat repaired - things I think Chevy knows about. Love my '04 LS Malibu!!!

Poorly made
By mcrogers07

2004 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

If you'll look at carcomplaints.com, you'll notice 195 people reported steering problems. I had an issue with my steering column, which rendered the car as though it was hydroplaning. I paid to get that repaired (because Chevy still refused to do a recall even with all of the complaints). My engine coolant sensor has crapped out, so that indicator comes on every time the car is started. I was told that was also a common problem and would require a decent amount of labor to replace a relatively inexpensive part. There's also a loud vibration noise coming from the front dash when driven. It also dies randomly, but thankfully, as the car has already stopped. The trunk button stopped working so it has to be opened manually. The turn signal lights go out frequently. The display doesn't function if it's too cold.

What a LEMON!
By Suggabuzz

2004 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (2.2L 4cyl 4A)

This car has so many problems that I couldn't list them all if I tried. The dash is lit up like a Christmas tree! There are problems with the traction control/ ABS and Power steering. The headlights, trunk pop button, and gas gauge all do not work. Things just fall off and brake constantly. It leaks coolant, as well as transmission fluid. I bought this car with 'no problems' about 4 years ago, and it has been a constant battle to keep it out of the shop. There are so many re-calls i think even Chevy wants me to throw it off a cliff.

330,000 mies and still a dream to drive!
By Dansker1

2004 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

... pleasurable miles of driving:+)}}} This is my third review on this vehicle, did one in 2014.............just took in for 333,000 check up, all I can say it is amazing. Had oil gasket replaced three years ago for the first time, burns virtually no oil (most driving is highway). Has plenty of pep, but needs new shocks...........my chevy mechanics have asked me if I will sell this vehicle to them, after I am done with it! Minimal replacement of parts, had new ball joints put in a couple of months ago, and brakes, other than that, nothing has gone wrong. As said before, I would buy another in a heart beat..............with 333,000 miles on the odometer the car has a negative value (just don't tell that to the car)...........happy owner, Just came back from a 8 and 1/2 hour drive to NYC.............burned about an eighth of a quart of high mileage oil, and the auto drive has quit, but had chevys since I was in high school..........1949 fastback pea green, and paid a whopping $50.00 for it (it ran great for two years, the tranny went) should have kept my 1958 Impala two door, paid $800 for it and today it is worth $80,000, but who knew! A trick I highly recommend is to put a bottle of Gumout High Milage liquid into your gas tank, and burn regular gasoline(every 9,000 miles)............better performance, and I picked up about three miles per gallon.......................enjoy!