Used 2003 Chevrolet Malibu Base Sedan Consumer Reviews - 65 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

NO MO JEBBIES!
By Soon to be ex-chevy owner

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Bought it used with 42000 miles (was my neighbors - I changed the OEM front pads). A con rod blew at 70000 - replaced w/boneyard motor. Never got more than 18 mpg with either motor. The blinkers always failed when I had to turn in heavy traffic. The side mirror remote mechanism fell apart inside the door. A rear strut started rattling at 75,000 had to be replaced. The horn blows on its own. The electric door lock switches had to be replaced twice. The radio's mega bass is always maximum when I first turn the radio on, even though I turn it lower continuously. The stupid little console/arm rest always flipped open if I tilted it back so that I could have room for my elbow. It eventually fell apart and came off. The back seat is spacious, but it's almost as though the front passenger compartment was an afterthought- I am always bumping the wiper arm (on the wrong side of the column), it does not have power windows, which is a real hassle because they put the gas filler on the passenger side. They forgot to put a stop on the driver's sear belt, so my hand gets stuck between the door and the seat when I reach for the male part of the seat belt buckle. I would love to trade this in on a new car so gm can ship it to china along with all the other used trade ins that they export. Only problem is that I would have to buy another chevy, which ain't gonna happen.

My first car
By Mikey

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

It was a great car , I bought it in 2009 with 120k on it I was 16 when I bought it, it was actually in a previous accident and was reconstructed but looked brand new, I never had a problem with any type of engine work or anything, I did get in a accident with it when I was 18 but I got it fixed and it was fine the only trouble I had with the car was electronic issues like my tail lights were always going out and getting me pulled over and always had to mess with the word and get new tail lights, but I had the car intill I was 22 and had to get rid of it for financial issues. But I would definitely buy another one!

2003 GM fuel pumps defective.
By Eric Puckett

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

My 2003 Chevy Malibu fuel pump went out. While looking for a new one I found some interesting facts. 1 website had over 90 complaints on that part for that model and year of GM cars. Normally parts for cars interchange every 5 years. The 2003 GM models fuel pump was only put on cars that year. That makes me believe that GM knew the pump was defective. Wy else would GM only install that pump for 1 year when they always use parts for 5 years. Something to think about.

Great Car
By alan1945

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased as a used rental car in 2004 with 15,000 miles.
I now have 203,000 miles and change the oil at 5,000 intervals.
Non maintenance repairs have only been a fuel pump, thermostat, and alternator.
MPG is great.
Consistently averages 30-32 highway at 70+ MPH and 26-28 city.
Will easily go 55,000 to 60,000 miles on a set of tires.
Nothing great to look at but the most reliable car I have owned, especially considering the price.
Would like to get something newer but the thing just won't quit.

Great value...
By elbarto247

2003 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Purchased the car in 2004 with 9K miles. always taken care of the care by doing the maintenance myself. Car has had no major problems since i purchased. Just had my transmission oil and radiator
flushed a replaced. Car still performs very well. Taken it on multiple trips a year and always average between 26-28 MPG. Have highly rated All season tires and always perform regular oil changes. Acceleration always begins to be a problem right before oil changes are necessary, but the car performs very well otherwise. Interior is differently not of high quality and things do brake but nothing a little lover and attention wont fix.

"Update" the car had a total loss after breaks failed on the highway in January of 2016. Tried to fix myself but could determine the reason for the loss of breaks. Took it to the dealership to get it fixed but after 3,000 in repairs they could figure out why the breaks were not engaging Eventually traded it in for a new car. Lasted me 13 years befor it gave out. Overall it was a good car and I would have boughten it again.