Used 2002 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews

List Price Estimate

Used Malibu for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:

Pros
Cons

fun car

toulouse darling, 05/15/2018
LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

maintanence and repairs are reasonable .....parts are very inexpensive

Great starter car! I consider as Compact Sedan.

DeadSpaceGrave, 04/13/2020
LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this 2002 Chevy Malibu LS in January of 2020 with 146K miles and paid 2700 for it. The interior looks brand new , it was a one owner vehicle. The only thing wrong with the interior is that the texas heat had beaten down on the dash where the woodgrain trim is at by the AC vents. As far as maintenance goes, I had the brake booster replaced because the rpms and engine would stall after pressing on the brake pedal, this was a $440.00 job. I also had the car completely inspected, I did the front brakes and installed drilled/slotted rotors with ceramic brakes in the front ($79 parts+$60 labor) and the car stops great. Also during the detailed inspection, the front drivers axel boot was torn so I also had that replaced ($280 job) and the report showed my head gaskets have a slight leak which is a curse for this generation malibu but it still drives like a top. I will be replacing the spark plugs and wires soon myself so I'll find out the real condition of the motor checking those. This engine , 3100 series, has a fault for building up condensation in the engine when not driven everyday or for long trips so it can give the impression of a head gasket leak. I already had all 4 tires replaced . I purchased the Barum Brilliantis 2 tires and they handle great. The other glitch with my malibu is the air conditioning system. Sometimes the cold air will cut off and the AC indicator green light will turn off and it will feel like your getting hit with warm air ..... this can be fixed by taking apart the control heads to the AC and cleaning the contacts . Theres a video on youtube, also the anti theft system glitch. I watched another youtube video to fix that and had the car running while doing that job and I never had a problem with it since. I have a toggle switch wired to disengage the theft system when it wants to play games and it's never failed me . Overall this car was bought by me to have as the main car to drive for work and pleasure. My other family car is a 1998 Ford Explorer XLT V8 and it drinks gas like no tomorrow. But if I had to choose between either car I would go for the explorer because that thing is a tank!