Used 2002 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 100 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Candi's review
By CandyHarris

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Originally I bought it because it had four doors and could accomodate my aging parents comfortably. It did and still does. But it is nice to drive, smooth like a luxury car, yet drives more like my Camaro and has the interior room of a much larger car. I like my Malibu! I just wish I had gotten it in gold instead of green.

The leather interior, and remote door opener

Add a three disk CD changer, and climate control, even if only as options.

It Goes and Goes
By Howard

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Over 100K miles and it has yet to break down. The only mechanical problem so far was when an electrical problem caused the fan not to work at the lower speeds. This is my concept of a luxury car. Although nothing about it is spectacular, there is nothing that is truly deficient. It still runs just about as smoothly as the day I bought it.

Stays out of the repair shop. Folding rear seats.

Could have used a little larger gas tank (which the current model has).

Not what I expected
By Nicole

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

When I bought my Malibu I thought I was buying a reliable American car. That is not what I got. Ever since I got the car there has been problem after problem. I am tired of repairing this vehicle and will never buy a Chevrolet again because of this.

Make the car reliable.

Great quality car
By Mary

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

The interior is very good quality, material on seats very durable. I drove this car as a rental and then bought it when I needed to get a car because I liked it so much. I saw other reviews where they needed brakes after 15K miles, but I just got the front ones replaced at 43K, and the back ones are still OK, so I don't know. Only thing is the intake manifold gasket had to be replaced at 43K, which is sooner than normal on most cars, and I don't know the reason for that but apparently it's common.

I love the stereo system, great sound for factory stereo. Nice style on dashboard also. Fold down seats in the back, which instead of breaking in the middle, break about 1/3 of the way on one side and 2/3 on the other. Great so that someone can still sit in the back if you have the 2/3 side down.

None.

Look and Drive of More Expensive Car
By Frank Provasek

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car new for $16,000. Everyone who I showed it to and let ride in it guessed $22,000 to $25,000. Average 24 MPG with 3.1 litre V-6.

Quiet and smooth, plenty of power for nornal driving, powerful air conditioner ( I am in Texas )

Poor speakers in sound system. Replaced them with Pioneers from Crutchfield for $60.