Used 2002 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 99 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2002 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Chevrolet Malibu has been a disaster
By Al

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Our 2002 Chevrolet Malibu has had many problems. It is slow to accelerate and noisy. The brakes went out on it twice. The air conditioner stops cooling at random and the dealer showed me a bulletin that said that was OK, so they could not fix it. It's always been hard to start, but no warranty repair was made. Now it just went out of warranty and the car won't. It cranks, but no start. This is the worst car I've ever owned.

Make it reliable. Make it with air conditioning that works, brakes that work, and so that it starts!

Repair costs $2,200 for 2005 (so far)
By Dave

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

This car was poorly built. This car requires new brakes every 15K miles and new rotors every 30K miles. I followed all recommendations for maintaining my vehicle per the owner's manual. Once the car hit 60K miles, it started to fall apart completely. In the last two years I have had to bring my car to the mechanic for repairs eight times (thank goodness for AAA)!The cost of repairs for 2004: $1,200. The cost for repairs through 7/05 $2,200. List of items needing repairs: ignition switch(2x), ignition cylinder, manifold intake gasket, antifreeze cap, A/Cc. I will not be purchasing another Chevy, or any product built by GM,. They just couldn't discount it enough for me to take the risk!

Quality, customer service

2002 Chevy Malibu LS
By Jeff Edstrom

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I just bought a 2002 Chevy Malibu on ebay. I was kind of hesitant about buying a car on ebay, but it was a smokin' deal and it worked out really well! This blue book on this car was about $9,000 and on ebay i bought it for $5,000. It was a great deal and it is a great car! I love it! it drives great and it's perfect for my son. I love it! I'd recommend it to anyone who is interested in buying a Malibu!

I like the upholstry, the sound, the build, the sunroof, the gas mileage, its all good!

I don't like the speedometer!

best car I've had
By mike

2002 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

This is an outstanding car. It's never let me down. A little standard maintenance, and it runs great, handles perfectly, has real pick-up, and the control has gotten me out of scrapes other cars would've never gotten out of (I know; I've had a lot of cars).

Laid out great. Has great HP for its size

Standard alloy wheels

Just middle of the road
By slimjim

2002 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I have had my Malibu for 3 years now and I can tell you it is good all around transportation. It is just about the right size. Has all the right options. I have the LS so it has most of the toys I like having. One complaint I do have with the car is I had to replace the brakes and rotors with only 34000 miles and I blame that one on GM. So, knocking on wood, I can say this has been a rather trouble free car so far. I hope it stays that way.

The things I like best about this car are the power seats, the ease of using the radio CD player, the center arm rest, the good gas mileage, and the price of the car

Better brakes