Used 2001 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Supposedly reliable...
By Savannah

2001 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

My husband and I bought our first "new" car, thinking that it would be dependable for me to drive to work. In the past 3 months we have spent around $1,500 in repairs. The A/C is cutting on and off, the theft system is going haywire (the car doesn't start unless the doors are locked, and sometimes the doors unlock themselves while on the road, which cuts the ignition off), the brakes had to be replaced, which I was told has been happening w/ a lot of Malibus, and the ignition starter and module had to be replaced. Also, water was leaking into the floorboards b/c of the windshield not being sealed properly. We are very disapointed in this car. Next time we'll buy a Toyota or Honda.

Power, looks, gas mileage, radio.

Better theft system, better calibrated brakes, better working A/C system, etc. What bothers me is that I found online where lots of other people are having the same problems, but Chevrolet won't confirm that and admit that they should be responsible. I would not be upset if it were isolated problems

I love my car
By Chrissy

2001 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car as a newlywed and still in college. It has grown with me. We have a child now, and I feel completely at ease with the performance and safety of this vehicle. My husband has suggested trading in on a newer car, but I can't stand the thought of giving up my car, even for a newer one. I love my car!

I think this model looks sleek and sophisticated. The ride is so smooth and worry free.

The only complaint that I have is that the brakes cost me a small fortune to have replaced.

I got the bad apple in the barrel
By Jayme Polis

2001 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

The first fifteen days I had my malibu, it was great, then while driving down the freeway it died! Within the first year I owned it which was 2004, I had the fuel pump injection system replaced, brake booster replaced, A/C unit replaced. Somehow the battery cracked (I was not in an accident!)and leaked all among other little things.

The warranty. Without that, I would have been in a lot of trouble

My suggestion is the Monte Carlo

Economical for todays lifestyle.
By Tara St. Cyr

2001 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Great value. Roomy inside, with enough room for 3 children comfortably. Spacious trunk, and handles well in snow and rainy conditions.

Color

None

Selling ASAP
By mearaina

2001 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car 16 months ago with 33,700 miles on it and have had nothing but problems. First, the key would stick in the car, then it was fixed, then the car wouldn't start, then it wouldn't turn off. The transmission leaked, the turn signals/hazard lights stopped working, and now the car won't start on a semi- regular basis. I am not impressed, it only has 45,000 miles on it.

The CD player