Used 2001 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 76 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Surprisingly pleased
By wyrdguy

2001 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I've driven this car for over 6 years now and am very surprised with its reliability and comfort. I wasn't expecting much with all the trouble I'd had in the 70's and 80's with GM cars, but I'd driven a Chevy Corsica for work and was impressed, so I decided I'd give GM one last chance. I don't exactly follow the book when it comes to maintenance either and this car has been very forgiving. It now has 115k on the odometer and has given me few problems. The transmission needed rebuilding under warranty and I can't give the brakes very high marks, but other than that, it's been great.

Very comfortable seats and well designed interior.

I wished they had somehow given it a better braking system and watch out for that tranny! Otherwise, you could do a lot worse than this car!

Nice design but poor reliability
By Phil

2001 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I really enjoy driving this car, but the reliability has been very poor. This year/model apparently has a very poor brake design. The car's brakes had to be replaced 4 times in 64000 miles (including new rotors on 3 occasions). Other reviews describe the brake problems in more detiail. Have also had numerous problems with the engine including a bad head- gasket, thermostat, and other random issues. Have also had problems with the AC switch, the blinkers, and the windshield wipers. Despite the comfort of the car the reliability makes this car a real bummer.

Good acceleration, comfortable seats, moonroof

Must improve the reliability on everything from the engine to the various switches in the car. Absolutely must fix the braking system (which I think they have probably addressed on later models).

Good Car, Great Value
By JL

2001 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Bought a fully loaded Malibu LS five years ago off the showroom floor. Have close to 100k on her and she's still running strong. Plenty of power with good gas mileage (27 hwy) she is a good looking car. Brakes, like most Chevy's, should have been bigger/better. Spend the money on premium rotors with a warrantee when the OE warps. The only other problem is the turn signal flash-dat is starting to fail. This car is a great family sedan and is still cool and safe enough for a first time driver.

Keyslot in dashboard is just like my '67 Firebird's. 3.1 V-6 gives plenty of power though the 108 mph governor can be annoying.

Bigger brakes. Chevy should have put disks on the rear instead of drums.

An Average Car for average people
By Julia

2001 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Thank God for the extended warranty. I have owned this car for 3 years, and in that time, it's felt like packing marbles in a corner trying to keep this car from falling apart. I had to get the door welded on after the hinge failed, completely replaced the started, heater blowers, and control switch, rusted out far sooner than expected. The window/power locks panel is still hanging on by its wires, and the dealer can't really do much about it (been in to be fixed twice). The turn signal indicators stopped working. I'm very surprised at how much its value has dropped since buying it. Why spend 23K on a car that won't last half as long as an accord or civic for the same price...

Cup Holder, Power, Smooth ride, automatic headlights.

Doesn't matter... I'll never buy a Chevy again.... ever.

One great car!
By addwinell

2001 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car used almost 2 years ago with 70,000 miles and I just love it. I've only had it in the shop once for small repairs and once for tires. I traded a Jeep Grand Cherokee (which I really miss) for the Malubu but I was pleasantly suprised. It has every bell & whistle that Chevy offered. I have been a long time customer of Chevy and this car solidified my relationship w/them. There are a few small things (center console) that I dislike but, overall this is a wonderful car!

Sun/moonroof, leather seats, cd/cassette player, spoiler

Better stereo speakers, remove/redesign center console