Used 2001 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 77 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2001 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Best used car I'v had
By jstanthrguy

2001 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I got my 01 Malibu 2 years ago with only 45,000 miles on it and havnt had any big issues with it other than my AC / heater going out at 80k miles but that was a $30 fix that took me a year to do. My lighter outles have gone out and the engine keeps doing a tugging issue but I'm sure its the area I live in. Other than that just normal wear. I will say they don't do so well on climate change though. I brought it from NE winters to California summers and hit a speed bump and cracked a tie rod but that was $6 to fix. Now at 110k its in perfect condition. I love it.

V6, 32/26 MPG, Sound system, trunk space, tight steering, comfortable seating, tons of special features: auto headlights, washer fluid in window blades, reading lights on mirror, tons of storage in cab, easy to use controles, carbin fiber inlay, theft lock on dash.

My only issue with the design is that the center armrest has a storage box in it and when I lift the arm rest everything falls out onto my back seats and that the car runs a bit hot but all Malibus do. And being 6'3 I have the seat all the way back and its hard to put a car seat in so I have to use my truck.

You get what you pay for :)
By kka89

2001 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my Malibu with the only issue of needing new intake manifold gaskets. It would run hotter than the half mark when at idle, but go back down when driving. Within the first week of owning the car (I am the third owner, previous owner military)the power window switch for the driver's side window went out. I can no longer roll down my window. My ABS light comes on sometimes and my Theft System light acts up. I also cannot install an aftermarket CD player without a special kit. I only paid $1800.00 for it and can't complain too much. I'm trading it off for an Nissan Xterra and more than likely won't buy another American car again.I've had nothing but bad luck with them.

The interior is very comfortable. Gas mileage is GREAT for a V6. Car is small enough to park in tight spots, but yet big enough to fit a full 5 person crew inside.

The ability to install an aftermarket CD player(this may have been improved since 2001) The intake manifold gaskets are the WORST issue.

Worth it
By great car

2001 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

i bought this car with 40k miles in 2004 and have had some of the same problems as others. coolant leak, but i did a total flush and leak repair and have had problems since. some electrical problems flasher, cigarette lighter kept blowing fuse. i now have 139k miles on her and i have no real complaints. i think this car has been a great car and i still feel like i can take long trips with confidence. so far this year i have taken it to south fl from north Carolina 5 times without any problems. I get about 30 mpg on high way and not sure city but around 24.

tight seal and ac runs great, gas mileage is decent.has good get up and go power.

Great car
By malibu

2001 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

I recently bought this car used, and i was delightfully surprised with it, if you want to, this car can really take off! the seats are nice, the upholstery is great, and there is nothing about this car that irks me at all

i love the get up and go of this car, the suspension is very smooth, and the sound system is great, if i had a choice of buying this car again, i would.

It could use maybe a little more wood trim on the inside, the one little piece, gives it a simplistic beauty though, a remote key fob would be a nice addition.

Unfortunate Misconception
By undone

2001 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan (3.1L 6cyl 4A)

Decent car with good engine. Unfortunately the theft system is a definite problem. I have had to replace the intake timing gaskets and am looking to replace the head gaskets. The cooling system has problems operating with the Dex-cool additive that is recommended under warranty. Decent gas mileage 22-27mpg mixed. I cannot say that I will buy this model again.

Good power for the smaller v-6, never had a brake problem, good trunk space

Theft system, cooling system, leave out dex-cool.