Used 2000 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 130 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Just Pour Your Money Down the Drain
By mindgraffiti

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I have owned this used car for 7+ years. Stuck with a 3 year loan, only to shell out more money immediately after buying it! Within the first 6 months, when it hit 50k miles, the engine completely DIED. Spent $4k on a new one. Even after a NEW one, I've replaced the intake gasket 4 times. It's gradually gained a large 6" round rust hole near the bottom of the fuel door. The ignition fails randomly and after 3 repair shops, no one can find the problem. The A/C needs recharged every month during the summer and on 80°F & hotter days, you can't tell it's working. I've quit making repairs ($6k during 3 yr loan!) and am driving it til it's dead. After this car, nothing will make me buy GM again.

Spending $6k in repairs, including a new engine, yeah, that was fun! [/end dripping sarcasm]

Nothing less than a class action lawsuit for willful fraud on GM's part. GM should pay $10k to each owner for all the repairs paid in, then be grateful they didn't have to pay more.

Goodbye Old Pal
By BOBB

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

traded my 2000 Malibu for a 2010 HHR. Only has 48000 miles, but I never had anything close to a major problem with this car. For 9 years and 9 months it always got me where I wanted to go. It was a very luxurious car for the price I paid. For the last couple of years it sounded like there was a Mexican troope playing castanets in the engine, but I still got 24 miles per gallon. It was one of the best cars I've had and I'm 66 years old.

Big car feel. Good mileage for a 6.

Air vents need more adjustment positions. Had to close center vents to get good air flow to outer vents.

2000 Chevy Malibu
By Michael in Atlanta

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

We bought this car in October 2000 and now at 107k, it has finally died. So many problems every 10,000 miles. Will not miss this vehicle. Wasted so much time and money on the vehicle. Not only will we NEVER purchase any GM product again, if we ever won one on a game show, we would sell it immediately or drive off a cliff. Good riddance to this piece of junk vehicle

Gets Me From A to B
By Jeff Mackin

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

This car has a decent amount of pep for a V6 engine. The ABS Brakes stink! Did I mention that I hate the ABS brakes??

The surprising pep of the 3.1 L V6 Engine.

More interior room, very cramped for a Mid-Size sedan. Lose the retarded ABS brakes, lack of head room, shoulder room, and leg room. Gas mileage should b MUCH better for a V6 sedan!!

Great Car
By Lauren

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

When I bought my car it only had 28,000 miles on it. It had been sitting for a couple years so it needed new tires, brake work, and air conditioner fluid. Runs great, never has any problems. Drives extremely smooth. I usually get about 28 mpg. It was my first car. I'm a junior in high school and I'm sure this car will last me well through college.

I love how great the car rides. Also, its very comfortable.