Used 2000 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 130 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2000 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

One bad buy
By fishguy

2000 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

Bought this car as a manager model with 2000+ miles. I don't know how a car can be built in this day that has such lousy brakes?! How can GM not know how to make brakes?! This car is loud and scratches with every bump. It has simply been one of the worst buys of my life time and Chevy will not see my money when I make my next purchase.

Never buying another Chevy!
By DIsgruntled

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I have had all of the same experiences as everyone has described here. Only difference is that in the past 2 years, we have put $10,000 worth of work into it. Word of warning to those of you who work on the car yourselves. Don't take the sun visors off because they are impossible to get back on without breaking them! We move a lot due to the fact that we are a military family, and our car has had to be fixed in 4 different states over the three year span that we have owned it! I am also not happy with what Chevy calls "routine maintenance" i.e.:EGR valves and fuel injectors.

Leather seats, sunroof, CD and tape deck, fog lights, and fold down seats. These are what prompted us to buy the car.

Where do I start?

Love to drive it-just don't hit anything
By Paula Morra

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I am the second owner of my 2000 Malibu LS and I love it. The multi-adjustable drivers seat makes for very comfortable driving. It is a 6 cylinder so has good pickup and the engine runs quietly. The interior is nice and has extra storage in the console. However, the front end of this car has been wrecked twice, once by my daughter and once by myself. Both times we were traveling under 25 MPH. The other cars involved sustained very minimal damage. The Malibu however, sustained an awful lot of damage for the impact it incurred. The front bumper is plastic, therefore damages (falls partially off) very easily, along with some other parts of the front end, both times topping $3000 in damage.

My favorite features are the CD player, the maneuverability of the driver seat, and the roominess of the interior.

Do I have to say it? Definitely make the front end more sturdy.

My 'Bu
By JL

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

The quality of this car is a major step up from Chevy cars of the past. Other than being on my 3rd set of brakes, I've had no major mechanical problems. I wouldn't have one without leather, a sunroof, and a spoiler because they really improve the look. I wish the leather seats were a little more comfortable. I have back pain during long rides. The resale on American cars is still poor. I'm trading mine in soon and after 5 years it will bring 1/10 of it's original sticker price. I think this car has held it's value better than that because mechanically it's very sound.

The spoiler and sunroof really improve the appearance. The V-6 has plenty to offer.

Better brake design. More supportive bucket seats. It doesn't really matter now because a new model is out.

Still Smiling
By VeryBlessed

2000 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

My wife and I have had this car for 5 years now. We actually bought it in Jan. of 2000 for a steal, $17,700 and the car is fully loaded! I have seen a lot of negative feedback on this car but mine has been a pleasure. We have been truly blessed to have such a dependable car. We have only had small problems such as the hazard light/turn light problem, air conditioning blower not working on 1 or 2, and the window motor broke down. All problems were fixed inexpensively after warranty expired. The car has close to 107,000 miles on it and we have only replaced the brake pads 3 times and no rotor damage at all!! God truly blessed us with this, from the price all the way to the reliabilty.

Leather Upholstry,Wood Grain Accents, Sunroof, Zippy V6 Engine, Ample Leg Room and Trunk Space, Power Everything, & ABOVE AVERAGE Factory Sound System

I'm sure they have corrected some of the minor quality issues in the later models but other than that this car is sweet.