Used 1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan Consumer Reviews - 142 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Lo and behold
By nomorechevies

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car because I got a deal. I'm on this site looking for a new car and felt I owed it to anyone thinking about a Malibu to say don't do it! I was surprised to see that everyone on here has had similar problems. Head gaskets, coolant goes down without a leak, heat/AC only works on the third or fourth setting- first two burnt out, went thru wheel bearings left and right, I have put more money into this car than I paid for it! I thought I just got a lemon, apparently so did everyone else who bought it. It was comfy, pretty good on gas, and nice to drive. When it was actually running. Or not in the garage with 5 mechanics around it who couldn't pin what was wrong with it.

Roomy inside, comfy for me and my family, 6'5 boyfriend actually fit in it better than most cars.

Stop making junk, or start owning up to the obvious problems with this model. It was nice when it actually ran and between visits to garage.

After 8 yrs
By not a lemon

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

Bought this car new and after 8 yrs still haven't had major problems. The only 2 issues with this car I have had are the rear lights (brake/reverse) burn out frequently and have had water pump replaced twice. Other than this, the last 93k miles have been problem free.

V6 has good acceleration and smooth ride

Rear lights needed to be corrected.

1999 Malibu Review
By RB

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

The car from the outside is very nice with it's soft lines and curves. The muffler is tucked up under the body, unlike some cars of this class. The look is sporty for a functional sedan. The reliability suffers with some poor engineering and very high cost parts. Problems with my car have been repeated lock cylinder and intake gasket replacement, with overheating issues. For the cost of repairs, the car continues to be strong competition for cars in this price range, and functionality.

Body design and 6cyl power are very nice.

Better road noise suppression. Fix known problems with Dex Coolant, and intake gasket. Get rid of Passkey design for replacement of lock cylinders with something less costly to fix. Reduce cost of replacement parts, such as $400.00 hub assymblies that need to be replaced when wheel bearings go out

Eh...
By princessbanana

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan 4dr Sedan

This car was just ok. Purchased at 63,000 miles. Heater and air conditioner went out within first year of owning it. Tires went bald fast, needed to fill with oil every two weeks after it hit 70,000 miles. No "get up and go". Forget about good gas mileage. Needed new transmission as soon as I hit 101,000. Automatic windows work only when they want to. Back window motor went out. I put almost half as much in to this car as I paid for it. Don't count on this car lasting over 100,000 miles. Save your money. Buy a Honda or a Toyota.

My favorite feature was the XM radio that I installed myself.

A great car
By Chopsticks

1999 Chevrolet Malibu Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

When purchased it had many features found only on moe expensive cars. It is comfortable and roomy inside. I will buy another.

Daytime reduced lightheadlights Automatic increase to full headlights at dusk. Key in ignition reminder