Used 1999 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 142 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

Just keeps running and running
By Danielle

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

This is my 9th year with my Malibu. Within the first few years of owning, I regretted every moment of purchasing this car. But 9 years later. It's the best vehicle I have ever owned. Front brakes, a gas sensor & an alternator have been the only problems that I have ever had. Yeah, I don't run the a/c during the summertime (too hard on the engine ~ sounds like the entire engine is going to fall out), and automatic car washes cause water to get in the tail lights (horrible engineering design). But, she starts without fail every day and for that, I love my Malibu. Anxious to get a 2009 though.

Interior cloth is great, stains come out so easily. Dependability Trunk Size

Tail Lights - water gets in due to crappy design.

Its 3/5/2010 and I have driven+236,000m
By Jeremy

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

On 3/5/2010 I have driven 236,000 plus miles in this car. Over 22K/yr. I have had to do some maintenance but nothing more than usual. The only major repair is the new transmission at 170K. This has been an extremely reliable car throughout and I obviously do a lot of driving and has been comfortable to travel in, I am 6'5" 260lbs so I need some space and this car has plenty. Radio works fine, Blows cold AC, down here in Florida that helps.I had to car in Ohio for the first 10 yrs of its life and the ice/snow/salt did nothing to the outside or anything. Did well in the snow could not be happier with this car overall.I mean everyone has something to complain about but I got my $'s worth

The ride is nice, the design was also nice.I loved the head room and power seats.The factory radio and speakers are still kickin'. I really liked almost everything.

my gear shift knob has come off i wish those were made to last longer than 236,000 miles......LOL for real this is a well made car. I am gonna try and make tit to 300K or higher. Everyone thinks I am nuts but its not giving me any trouble. My driver seat is going out b/c I sat in it a lot....

Great while it lasted
By weakweek85

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this wonderful car off of a neighbor down the street. it had 138000 miles on it initially. ran great for a few months, but had a lot of brake problems. one day without warning when i as still under the 3000 mile mark between oil changes, my engine blew out, leaving me devastated. the car died at 147000 miles. i had no warning lights to tell me something was wrong, until the oil pressure light went on AFTER it died. i guess its hit or miss with these cars

smooth drive, comfort, pickup.

brakes, build a stronger engine next time, maybe warning lights that actually warn you when something is wrong.

Good Car
By LJF75

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I've taken good care of this car, and it took good care of me. Replaced the fuel pump 2003. Replaced the battery twice. Putting on the 3rd set of tires. Need a new CD changer, but hey, 130,000 miles in 11 years.

Comfortable. Low maintenance. No monthly payment.

Plug-in hybrid running on biodiesel.

Amazing Little Car
By Paul

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I recently bought my 1999 Chevy Malibu for $1,500. For a High School Student the car is an amazing little car. I run it hard and it gets a consistent 23mpg in town. I love the looks of the car and it cleans up really well. Only issue with my car is the gas gauge doesn't work, but I can live without it. It hasn't given me or the previous owner any issues and its pushing 160,000 miles. Great car and I would recommend it to anyone!

It handles great, get up and go, good looking, peppy little car! Safe!

Gas Guage would be nice, quieter ride, brakes.