Used 1999 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 142 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

my 1999 chevrolet malibu
By tiger56

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

i have never had a problem from my 1999 chevy malibu. i bought it from a junk yard for $800, it got hit in the front end. no major damage. its still running. i replaced the front bumper cover and thats all that got messed up on it. i got it and it only has 164,000 miles on it. have not had to put any work into it. have had it since nov last year. motor is still strong. you have to take care of the car for you to have it a long time. you know not hot rodding it.... etc

I Don't Know What to Do Love and Hate Relationship
By contemplating

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Ok here is the deal, love my car its great for tall people but I have been having problems! First had to replace an electrical problem with the key ignition which cost $530. Car has several leaks when it rains replaced that too, battery keeps draining had to fix the a/c another $150 and now again the a/c is not wanting to turn on and the power windows don't want to work and I keep having the check engine light on, I do not know what is wrong with it and I am tired of fixing it, almost reach half of what the car was worth when I originally got it and that was back in June 2011!! I'm lost....

Indestructible
By carmaster2000

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I bought this car 3 years ago with 117,000 miles on it for $2000 which was a great deal. Now I have 192,000 miles on it and it is still running well. It has been through 3 hellish Wisconsin winters and has always performed well in the snow without traction control. The interior is roomy and comfortable, and it rides smoothly with decent acceleration.
On this old car, with 25k miles a year, the only problems I have ever had are:
-The blower motor took a crap and had to be replaced. 80 bucks no big deal.
-It has the infamous rusty spot below the gas cap.
-Had to replace faulty O2 sensor.

Really this car has been through so much, long trips, extreme heat/cold, it has been very good to me

Leather seating is comfortable and interior is roomy, good handling with virtually no torque steering problems and rides smoothly. Roomy trunk and rear seating, extremely reliable engine with reliable components. This car has not been treated nicely here in Wisconsin, and it has been nothing but good to me.

For goodness sake that rust spot under the gas cap area is on every late 90's/early 2000's Malibu I see. Also I have noticed on a lot of them as well they could use improvement on the HVAC system, with faulty toggle switches/blower motors all around.

Wow Runs and Runs
By Electroman37

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I picked up this car with 200,000+ and keep on driving it. Now yes i have put in several things but when it comes down to it - it is cheaper then a car payment. It has alt, water pump, radiator, bearings, lots of brakes and rotors, couple random sensors, etc. This thing is more reliable the my wife's newer ride and it cracked 300k recently!

It runs and always get me where I need to go.

I am sure whatever I gripe about has been fixed with the new MAX Line!

Don't Buy This Car
By Jessica

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I bought this car and about 4 months after I purchased it I had to replace the motor, because a piston broke. Then not even a year after that the head gasket started leaking. I've also had about 8 other mechanical problems in less than 2 years, including a new water pump and a new power steering line. I was going to get the gasket fixed but it runs so bad its not even worth it. I paid $3200 for it and have to junk it for $250 not even 2 years later.

My Sunroof