Used 1999 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews - 142 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1999 Chevrolet Malibu

View reviews for a specific Malibu model:

99 MALIBU
By DP

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Overall a very enjoyable ride and fun to drive. Comfortable for long trips. Have needed major engine work due to head gasket failure @ 105,000 miles along with other repairs. CD player has broken twice without extensive use. Passing it along to my child for use at college, so it will stay in the family a bit longer, and replacing it with a new Malibu

Cruise control on steering wheel

Wouldnt buy a Chevrolet
By Denise Cagle

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

I purchased my Malibu 3 years ago. I have not been happy at all. The first 2 weeks I had a flat tire. The next 3 months I broke down at a dealership and had to get an alternator and battery. Cost $587.00. I have had problems after problems. I just put 3 gaskets on in Feb of this year because I broke down on the road and the car overheated. I had someone that could do the work. NOT! Now 6 months later I have to get 3 new gaskets put on as the mechanic said he could fix it. That was $580.00 in February of 2005 and now I need new gaskets for $470.00. I just put on 2 new tires and had a vacuum leak because of these 3 gaskets. I spent $650.00 in July 2005. At the dealer they want to sell me a new car.

I like that the car has room on the inside and leather seats

Never own another one
By Lee

1999 Chevrolet Malibu 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new. Constant brake problems. Some electrical problems. Replaced the front wheel bearings. Fuel gauge went crazy at around 80,000 miles. Very uncomfortable for a taller person.

None

Scrap it.

OK! Wouldn't buy again!
By MJB

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

My Malibu has experienced all of the problems that are outlined below! I found out today that a leaking water pump has caused a lot of my issues with the serpentine belt and belt pulley wheels going bad not to mention the dissapearing coolant. My 1&2 fan speeds don't work either, I will have to try the resistor fix! Aside from these nagging issues the car is OK, but I would likely buy a more reliable car next time!

Smooth, dependable acceleration!

Ergonomics! Driver side cup holder interferes with the directional lever so you essentially can't use it!

Mixed bag
By Scott Libbee

1999 Chevrolet Malibu LS 4dr Sedan

Now have 70k on car. Had to replace brakes and rotors at 30k and 60k. Intake maifold gasket rplaced at 30k. Altenator replaced at 36k. GM says the car can go 100k between tune-ups, but check engine light came on at 69k. Complete tune-up required at that point. Water pump relaced at 68k. Original Firestones were crappy.

Nice over-all ride and pick-up. I have a LS V6. Stereo is nice. Nice highway performance. I would buy another Malibu if they improved the brakes

Brakes are HORRIBLE. I have 97 Corrola with 75k and have not yet had to to replace ANY of the above items including brakes