Used 1997 Chevrolet Malibu Consumer Reviews

Used Malibu for Sale
None for sale nearby. Instead:
12345...10

Pros
Cons

Money pit after 100,000 miles

matty, 07/18/2010
4dr Sedan

I bought this Malibu with 50k on it. It now has 140,000. One thing I noticed on this car was that as soon as I hit 100,000 all the nickel and dime crap would break. I had to replace all the pulleys because a bearing went bad, replaced the ignition cylinder lock which turned out that if it fails you need to buy the ignition switch as well. I try to do my own repairs this repair went from 35 bucks to 285 in parts I had to buy both. (awesome engineering, way to go gm) the build quality with gm has been crap for many years as well as the other 2 manufacturers. Things break that shouldn't. Driving down the road one day and the overhead light just came off. Come on! Really? Average.

Only buy if you need a cheap car

K Webb, 05/23/2010
LS 4dr Sedan

Multiple problems. Was fine for me for the two years, but buttons fall off in the climate control, intake gasket leaks, and car just isn't built great. If you only have $1500, buy it. Don't expect any money back.

Crappy car

jescalex, 04/08/2007
4dr Sedan

This car has been through 2 water pumps, one timing chain, (due to a dumb mechanic!), I have had brakes put on 4 times. It wears tires quick. Everything that goes wrong is very expensive to fix. Brakes alone for this car are $150. This car is not worth any amount of money paid for it. I know it's a used car but 2 water pumps in 6 months. That's nuts!

MalibuLemon

NoMoreChevys, 05/24/2003
LS 4dr Sedan

Bought a Lemon! Bought car in 97 and loved it for about six months. 3 factory alternators, power-steering replaced, power window problems, engine is noisy, Front speakers broke. Seat belts have been replaced, front lights leak, tail lights blow blulbs, too many problems to list all of them. Car has over 139,000 miles & V-6 has lost its get up and go. Will NEVER buy another. Too many problems both minor and major!

Crappy Car

katmay, 07/07/2003
LS 4dr Sedan

Bought this car for what I thought was a deal at 4,000.00. In the past month have had to replace brakes, rotors, wheel bearings (twice), tire rod, and left front axel. All at only 79,000 miles. This car is junk, all I have to say is never buy american made cars and never buy as is.

12345...10