Used 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 79 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

Gone to the Maxx
By BC from GA

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I was looking for a car for my 50 mile commute each day. I need something comfortable and economical. My Dad has a 92 Corsica with almost 200K miles and gets great mileage. I looked at Honda (owned 3), Toyota, and Nissan (currently my wife's car), and Hyundai econoboxes. Was astounded at the gas mileage from the V6. Very comfortable car. I have the maintenance done when required (the car tells me!) and that is it. Has great sound system and love the moon roofs in the back! I went from a Lincoln Town Car (another great car for the money and mpg to boot) to this and the ride is almost as plush. The ABS and Traction Control are wonderful. I love my Malibu Maxx & plan on driving 4ever!

Rear sun roofs, ride, handling for a wagon, fuel economy of a subcompact 4 cylinder, able to haul lots of stuff because of hatch and fold down seats, people mistake it for an import, distinctive looks, great price for a CPO car, my Mercedes driving brother loves it, easy to park and drive, great car

No auxillary input for iPod, wish it came standard with front sunroof, huge blindspots due to huge D Pillars and back seat design, seats stain easily, needs more cup holders, my wife wants to drive it too much, occaisional squeak from power steering.

Underrated Excellent Competitor
By Linda

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS Fleet 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Maxx is a mini-Saab. Good foreign feel, interior a bit basic. If Chevy invested in upgraded interior materials this car can compete with imports hands down. Good mileage, great pickup excellent style. I researched BMW, Saab, Volkswagon Wagons Maxx best value for the dollar. Just wish the interior could compete with imports.

Great hatchback access, good legroom for front and back seating during distance travelling good gas mileage. Good handling in snow.

If backseats could fold down and flip into space behind front seats thus providing greater cargo space for wagon.

Horrible Interior Quality
By Andre Garcia

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought the car with 8K Miles, when the car reached 12K Miles door panels (door seams) started to turn yellow because of poor quality material used, dealership claims that this is normal wear. Multiple other problems, noises and ratles inside the car. Many of the problems are still there, GM customer service says they can't do anything since the dealer said its normal wear and tear. The car itself is good, but I will have to sell it soon, before the whole interios falls apart. Will never buy another Chevrolet, no wonder they are in such financial problems. Would not recomend this car to anyone.

Gas mileage, great engine.

Better transmission (shifts hard from 1st to 2nd), and let someone from a European brand build the interior. Horrible quality

Awesome car
By Scortch

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I fell in love with this car when I saw it and drove it. I had been doing research on the net and narrowed it down to a few cars but the Maxx was my choice. Nice car to drive, has the power and comfort. Some have problems with the steering but I thought the steering was just fine. No worst to me than any other.

Adjustable pedals by far, hatchback, removable/washable cup holders, rear wiper, interior design and placement of controls and other items. Exterior looks. Well designed vehicle.

Bring back the Maxx for 2008 and on. The mini storage on the dash at the driver's front left knee could have been done a lot better. Mine wouldn't stay closed and contantly had to replace the velcro that held it shut.

Malibu to the Maxx
By Jason

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This vehicle is great. I was surprised by the amount of space. I especially love the hatchback. This is a great family car for a medium income family.

Lots of room! Rear sun roofs. Radio controls are on the steering wheel. The back seats lay down for extra room if you need to haul something. Great all around vehicle.

More durable shades for the rear sun roofs. Seats could be more comfortable. Difficult to see blind spots.