Used 2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 79 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

Saved my Life
By sarabellacooks

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS Fleet 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car after falling in love with it at the dealership. It was sporty enough to rationalize the "station wagon" style hatch back. It has a great stock sound system and all the features were great for the price. The thing that impressed me about this car is the fact that, when I blew a tire after running something over on the highway at 60 mph, hit dirt and rolled it over twice, I was able to walk away with nothing but a small bruise on my shoulder. This car saved my life, and I recommend it with the highest regards!

Sound system, lots of space for hauling awkwardly shaped items and large items, and comfortable, fully adjustable seats.

lose the rear moon roof, make front sunroof instead; other than that, not a thing!

06 Maxx LT
By Dave71

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Just bought the Maxx last week, but loving it so far. Had a 2003 Malibu, and this car is way beyond the previous generation, feels like its built better. Looked at Impalas, but really wanted something smaller and the Maxx was right up my alley. Love the power. Rides and handles great, although the previous owner put performance tires on it, so I'm not sure if I will keep them. Love the ABS and traction control being standard equipment. The interior space amazes me. Was looking to buy a bike rack for my car, and this eliminates the need, in fact could fit 2 bikes in it. Overall, very pleased with the purchase so far.

Driver info center, hatch, folding rear seats that move and recline, 3500 V-6, this thing really moves! Remote start is cool, going to be very handy in the winter.

Nothing to list at the moment, will update this if I find any issues as I own the car longer.

Better than I expected
By Biff

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Having owned Volvos for ages, I was a little apprehensive about buying a Chevy but I couldn't turn down the deal I got as a GM supplier. The Maxx is a good, solid car. Yeah, some of the interior materials are a little basic and you can tell where they saved a few bucks, but it gets the job done. I love having a hatchback. Really handy. You can put a LOT of cargo in this car.

Power, room.

Rear brakes were shot at 25K which is a little odd. No other problems really. Dealer has been great.

Performance+Utility=Sick
By harjohn4

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback SS 4dr Hatchback (3.9L 6cyl 4A)

I bought this car with right around 30k. It was a lease turn in so i know it was treated well by the previous owner. Being an American car guy chevy has been all I have ever owned. I was tossing this car up with a mazda 3 hatch. This car had a much smoother ride and a ton more power, SS package sold. Ohh yeah and it had plenty of space for my bicycles to fit without needing a rack.

Factory remote start, power, wheels and spacious interior.

Fuel economy even though it's to be expected from such a powerful car of its size. Interior light fuses blow often. Replacing with aftermarket led's to help the issue.

Hatchbacks are great!!
By Kit Gerhart

2006 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LTZ 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought my car new in 2006, and it has been great. The seats are very comfortable for me on long trips, and, while not a sports car, it has plenty of power and handles well. I got the LTZ because I wanted a few gadgets like HomeLink that weren't available on cheaper trim levels. The gas mileage, while not great, is at least as good as could be expected for a car this size and power. I get in the low- mid 20's in mixed driving, and 29-30 on the interstate going as fast as I can get by with. The reliability has been great; I've had no problems in 3 1/2 years of ownership.

Hatchback body style. Very comfortable seats (I'm 5'10" and 150#). Legible displays and logical controls. In the LTZ, there are convenience gadgets you pay extra for in many cars that cost $10,000 more.

Sell a hatchback or wagon version of the new Malibu, preferably with the 4 cylinder/6-speed power train they have in the new Malibu sedan. Unless they sell a mid-size hatch or wagon again, GM will not have a chance at my business when I'm ready to replace my '06 Maxx in a couple years.