Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Consumer Reviews - 163 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

Yikes! 3 Steering Racks in 3 Years
By Call me disappointed

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

No question, the Maxx gets great mileage (I average 29 mpg). And I love that the back and front passenger seats fold down to give lots of cargo room. And it's fun to drive -- when it's not in the shop for repairs. There have been several electrical problems while still under warranty, all easily resolved. The real problem is the steering rack. It's been replaced 3 times. My Chevy dealer says it's a design flaw and many cars come in with this problem. If you want a trouble-free car, I'd stay away from the Maxx.

Lots of interior room. gas mileage.

Design a steering rack that works. Fit and finish is kind of cheap.

Great Family Vehicle With Good Looks.
By jenandjonm

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought this car for more room while I was pregnant with my second child. We originally wanted a SUV, but not the gas milage. Hubby sugested a Suburu wagon, but I think wagons are ugly, ditto for mini vans. Husband and I are both tall and needed leg room, plus rear leg room for occasional adult passengers and those huge child car seats. The Maxx was a great find. I'm always getting compliments on the styling and people are curious what it is. The handling is great, especially at slow speeds in the parking lot. Plenty of power for those curvey hilly roads and freeway passing. All with great gas milage. It gets about 30-35 mpg on long trips, and 25 in town.

Easy clean leather seats. Remote start. Reclining/ sliding rear seat. Fold down rear seats. Auto temp control especially during remote start. Roomy interior space. DVD player/wireless headphones. One peice rims. Info center. Sound system. Wagon/ SUV functional in a Sedan size. Overall style.

Better latching for rear moonroof curtains. Remote open rear hatch (not just unlock). DVD insert and controls in the front. More advertisement would sell more of these. Many people I meet really like it, but have not seen one before. Keep the sporty look (the reason I chose it over a wagon).

Great Car
By 1tenor

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This is one of the best cars I've ever owned. I get excellent fuel economy, and the flexibility of the folding seats is extremely convenient. I had one problem with the trim on one of the seats which the dealership promptly fixed and that's it. Other than regular oil and filter changes, it's been virtually maintenance free. It rides comfortably both scooting around town or on the highway.

Folding seats, adjustable rear seats, convenient 12V outlets.

What a steal!
By Pat

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Looked for car to replace 2002 Tracker. Looked for SUV room without the price and found this. Eureka! Loved the hatchback design and room. Bought car with 15,000 miles for $13,000.00. Just returned from 3,500 mile trip to Gulf Coast. This car is awesome. 30 MPG (with a/c on most of the time), solid, quiet, roomy, comfortable, power when you need it. I could go on and on. Local Chevy dealer sent a letter saying they're interested in buying the car. Good luck, this one stays in my garage. As other people have said, why didn't Chevy promote this car. In my opinion, no home should be without one.

Looks, room, simple but functional interior design, gas mileage, stereo system, solid quiet ride.

Find some kind of cloth that doesn't leave stain marks when they get wet. Even water leaves rings. Try to improve rear visibility. I find it hard to back up trying to look over the high front seats and the large pillars/small windows behind the rear seats.

Another Good Car That GM Never Marketed
By Paul

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We needed to replace a 1993 VW Passat wagon. I found an off-lease 2005 Malibu Maxx V6 with only 20,000 miles, and was able to get it for only $12,000. We have had it for 1,000 miles, and so far, very impressive. Huge cargo capacity with seats down. 33-34 mpg on highway with AC on; 30 mpg in mixed driving, with odometer validated on a measured mile! Easy to drive, very spacious, great stereo, easy to use controls. For the price, it is quite a package. It's a real shame that GM never marketed the car, and now is changing it to another overpriced sedan with complex OHC engine and worse mpg's, and also forcing you to buy an SUV even if you only occasionally need a hatchback.

Gas mileage. Strong engine. Seat and pedal adjustments. A wagon when you need it, economy like a compact the rest of the time.

Typical GM steering with no feedback. Don't know what the new model will be like. Better cloth seat material, as others have stated.