Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback Consumer Reviews - 163 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

Great Car
By uscfan05

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I bought used almost 4 years ago and still love my car. It has lots of room and space, even passengers in the back seat have plenty of leg room. I love how the rear seats lay all the way front ward like a SUV to give you more space. I've even put a live Christmas tree in there with no problem. Love how the car tells you when to change your oil and when certain fluid levels are low! This car is great for every age group. I'm in my 20's and love this car but it also has plenty of room for a family. Rides smoothly and turns just as smooth. Back seat riders also love the moonroof. Traction control is great as well.

I love how it tells you when to change the oil, fluids are low and beeps before it tells you so you know to look at your screen for the message. It tells you the fuel per tank and everything, this is great, me being a girl that knows nothing about the engine of a car.

I wish you could play MP3 CD's. The shade over the moonroof gets messed up and stretched out easily.

Updated Review 2 Years Later
By Dbadcraig

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback Fleet 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

See my original review below dated 11/24/07. I now have 92,500 miles on this well equiped but basic Fleet car. The front end thump remains but is no worse after 20,000 more miles. The engine and transmission are as good as new- no oil use and I have obtained has high as 41 miles per gallon on the highway @ 60mph. I've had to replace warped front rotors, fix a short in side view mirror, new indicator bulb and thanks to a nail in a sidewall, buy two new Bridgestone tires (with the mpg my care gets with them, why change?) I did find the tan interior stained easily--but it also cleaned easily, try "Tuff Stuff" from Pep Boys. Paint, trim and interior is holding up very well.

It is hard to beat the utility of this hatch back sedan! I really like this 3.5 V-6 and the transmission. Very good highway economy and ample power. The car is very comfortable on extended highway trips. The glass top adds a touch of class for rear seat passengers and everyone notices.

My peeve list is short. The LED read out of the information center is too easily washed out by sunlight. The doors do not stay open (very irratating). The rear deck cargo cover squeaks at times with body flex. Plastic headlight are clouding. Steel wheels prone to rust (from salt).

Great Ride
By Susan in Alabama

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have been very pleased with this car and would highly recommend it to anyone. Oh yes and the get-up-and-go it has is very unexpected. Try one today and help keep Chevrolet going.

The only thing I can think of changing would be the front seats they are not the most comfortable for a long trip.

steering, ball joint,
By Gil

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I purchased this vehicle new and the first year was great. Power, handling, comfort, no repair. Then it started. I now have 90k miles, I replaced the rack and pinion steering column at 70k, the struts at 78k, the ball joints at 90k. The cruise control started giving me problems at 50k miles, goes off by itself. The shifter automatic stopped working right about the 50k miles range. I drive like a little old man, careful and slow and I maintain this vehicle at every squeak. I wouldn't buy another one.

Interior space is excellent, very roomy,

Should have been better made or give a better warranty.

We got a lemon
By GLen

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Hatchback LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Right up front, the stock tires are crap in deep snow. The car does fine with replacement tires from Firestone, but you should add the cost of new tires if you get severe winters where you live. At 17,000 miles the timing chain snapped and destroyed the engine. At 34,000 miles the steering column and other parts of the power steering had to be replaced defective. Since the 36,000 mile warranty ended both ball joints and control arms have been replaced as well as the right CV. And from about 40,000 miles on it's idle and general feel have been getting generally bad in feel, like something else is about to go. Worse than the 175,000 mile Ford Taurus we traded in for it.

Roomy inside, though plastic molding in hatch area wastes space. Seats are reasonably comfortable.

Quality of construction and extended warranty to at least 50,000 miles! The stock tires are terrible in snow, and the wheel wells accumulate snow and ice like no other car I've owned. Better quality material and finish on the interior.