Used 2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Consumer Reviews - 163 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

Buyers Beware
By Jennifer Davis

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have had a lot of problems with this car over the years. Researching a little I discovered that many people have had the same problems. The latest problem is the engine deciding to shut off while in the middle of driving. There doesn't seem to be any clear direction as to what causes this. Within the first 3 months of purchasing the car I started having brake problems. I had to get the brakes replaced within 6 months. The "DAB" warning shows up periodically (the dealership says it is not anything wrong and they just clear it). My CD player still doesn't work (2 replacements).

Comfortable to drive for a tall person.

This wouldn't fit within 300 characters.

Mad Maxx
By kim

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

We bought our Maxx when gas prices were near 5 dollars a gallon. Downsized from a minivan. While we miss the room of the minivan we loved this vehicle. Great gas mileage! With the hatchback we could still fit a great amount of equipment and home repair supplies in the back. Both rear seats fold down. Great car for the kids to learn to drive in. Great handling, fun to drive, good quality and reliability. Safety features are fantastic....totaled it with bilateral front airbag deployment. Walked away with just a bruise and sore muscles. No contact with the airbag due to the adjustable gas and break pedals. Too bad they aren't making this model anymore. Looking for another used one to buy.

Adjustable break and gas pedals, vista roof is so cool. Gas mileage and pick up are great. Rear seats recline. Also fold flat for more hauling options.

Seats not that comfortable for long trips. Cloth stains easily.

Chevy Maxx 2005
By JK

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I absolutely love this car and can't believe chevy stopped making them. Can't believe the torque on this car absolutely incredible for its size. Ok, problems, the steering shaft has been fixed once already due to warranty related problems at about 20000 and now is having the same problems again at 79000 (no longer covered). The cloth seat are by far the worst I have ever had in a car, you see every single little stain, water or worse - absolutely horrible, very tough to clean, took to pro and they refused to clean the upholstery. If chevy still made them I would buy a brand new one w leather seats right away. 23 gas/city - 26 highway. CD player broke, love onboard comp and low maintanence.

Torque - had me at first step on the gas pedal. Low maintenance costs, onboard comp - nice, very roomy - excellent. Good gas mileage -

Something needs to be done with the steering shaft - appears ot be a chevy problem or maybe Malibu problem? Definitely improve the clothes seats - horrible stain collectors - no chance in keeping it even decently clean with kids, water stains x10 not to mention other kids stains.

05 Maxx
By Canuck44

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I have 140,000km on mine and have had a few problems, I have done the front brakes twice and they need it again, the rear hatch light went on the fritz and started blowing fuses, the intermediate steering shaft needed to be relubed (clunking in corners), the DVD player doesn't play 1/2 of the DVD's out there, the rear wiper stripped and now the rear seat belts detach when I tension the seat belt when installing child seats. I use the UAS instead and am going to install a new one to see if it is any better. Other than that the car has been pretty good, good combination of power and mileage.

make the rear seat wide enough for three car seats, fix the brakes, give a longer warranty

love the maxx
By VICKY HICKS

2005 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Malibu maxx, I have one problem, cloth seats are dirty just from rain drops in car. Don't know how to clean this-help, rear windsheild wiper just started flippin out. Going to have fixed this weekend.

brakes that adjust. smooth ride. car starts from my front door-love it.

if anymore are made, please use cloth that is easy to clean. i haven't found anyone to clean my upholstery yet