Used 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Consumer Reviews - 148 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

What A neat car
By LaneN

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My Maxx is one year old. No problems at all. Have made two vacation trips, amazing but true; 34 MPG highway, loaded with luggage etc. Runs at 70 MPH plus like a charm. Rides as good or better them my 2002 Buick LeSabre. Love that movable rear seat. People ask me about this car because it looks so neat. Wish I had purchased the step up model. When this one reachs about 12,000 miles will get a more up scale model, leather, etc. This one has a sun roof that is fun to use. More people should check this car out before buying other family size cars. Again, great car, great mileage. I'm lovin' it.

Movable rear seat. Great mileage. Neat looking. Can hold more luggage then you may think. Real power point.

Better Tires. A side Chevy bowtire emblem would be neat.

So pleasantly surprised!
By JM in Jax FL

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Bought an '04 Camry a year ago - it was stolen (a story for another time!) and needed a new car. Avoided Toyota (most frequently stolen) and bought the Maxx instead - drives better than the Camry did, and for about the same money got leather interior, amazing flexibility of rear seat/cargo configuration. I was fortunate to find a brand-new '04 (identical to the '05) and got better than employee discount price. The Malibu Maxx isn't flashy - but like Camry, Accord, etc. it may soon be seen by consumers as a "best in class" family vehicle. Drive is smooth, easy. Love the remote start feature. Very comfortable for a family of five.

Leather interior/interior comfort. Peppy V-6. Flexibility of rear seat (slides up/back, reclines, folds flat for cargo). Side & front air bags, ABS included in price (options on Toyota!). Holds almost as much cargo as a minivan. Great value for the money.

Styling a little ho-hum. Drive could be "sportier." These would be minor fine-tunes to a great family car.

Maxxed Out
By maxxowner48301

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I love my Malibu Maxx. It is the first car I have ever purchased, and one of the best decisions I have made. After 1 year and 20,000 miles, I have not had one problem with the car. The car has great pickup, even at highway speeds. I have had it up around 120mph, and the car didn't rattle or feel like it was going to fall apart at all. It was very smooth and comfortable. I would tell everyone to get a Maxx, except that then the market would be flooded with them lowering my value. The Maxx will begin the resurgence of General Motors.

Electric power steering, and horsepower

Integration of the Onstar/XM/Radio antennas into one unit on the cars centerline. I would also make a rear wiper standard (it wasn't an option on my 2004 model), I would also then retrofit all 2004 models with a free rear wiper.

Enjoyable
By Kristine

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

I've had my Maxx for over a year. I love the power and on a 3000 mile road trip the mileage was as good as my old Honda Accord. Overall it's a great car. I think I would've gotten a better deal if I'd waited until it was on the market a while longer. Minor problems include the rear sunshades snapping, rear passenger window 'bumping' when you open it, and the front passenger often hits the heat button for the seat on entry (not fun in the summer). Occasional hesitation on start up happened a lot at first (the dealer claimed it's Chevy thing) and a recent problem with the wipers.

Adjustable pedals, rear sunroofs, DVD. I love the heated seats and remote start

Add a rear wiper and better quaility control at the factory. The dealer telling me the hesitating start is a 'Chevy thing" was a little disturbing when you just spent $25K.

Great Product, GM is doing it right!
By Joe M

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

My Maxx is a great car. Smooth ride, comfortable, and quick with great mileage, Much better than the imports I drove. Why would any one consider a forigen car? This car is really a winner. I drive 75 miles each day to and from work, and I enjoy the drive.

Love the power of the 6 cylinder. Love the ride, smooth and quiet. Great for travel.

I only wish the back seats folded flat, but this isn't a real problem.