Used 2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx Consumer Reviews - 148 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Malibu Maxx model:

More than a Econobox
By Toyota&Honda Owner,

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The Malibu Maxx was a complete surprise to me. My prior experience with GM rental cars was terrible. The Maxx combines a good blend of features, performance, fit and finish, reliability, and flexibility in a compact package. My initial attraction was 0% financing, but after 12000 miles I can recommend the Maxx for your daily driving needs. My car has zero defects and repairs. The chassis is stiff, and the Maxx handles well. There is plenty of low-end torque for a little fun in an econo-box. The rear passenger room is enormous. My sons said that they like the car because it is “little on the outside and big on the inside.”

Overall design, ride and handling, gas mileage, reliability, rear seat room

A 5 or 6 speed transmission would be a real improvement.

Love it, love it
By Maxxfan

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

Very adaptable for whatever use you need at the time. Much more space to pack things in than you first think. Very smooth and pretty fuel efficient for 6 cylinders. GM has come a long way and has greatly surpassed all other N. American manufacturers. Tougher times for Ford and Chrysler

The feel of a good European car without the huge price tag

Rear window could be just a little larger

Great car !
By Rob O

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car replaced my fully loaded Olds Intrigue which was totaled last year.I decided to buy a loaded out Maxx for the family which my wife now drives everywhere, and I get to drive her old car (Alero.)This car had some very big shoes to fill and has done so very well.

Hatchback, great Saab suspension. Smooth and powerful.

More agressive styling. Still looks cool anyway. Better exhaust note. You do get used to it though.

Grandma Car
By Matthew

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LS 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

This car is okay for packing kids or if you are looking for a SUV alternative, but as far as fun and eye stopping, no way. My friends ask me why I bought such a Grandma car. Well at the time I had no other choice the car I had was way too small and this was all they had. Now I wish everyday I would have kept my old car. I have had the power steering worked on twice. Once it went out while driving on the interstate. A new gas tank for unexplainable dents from the dealer, and when you go over bumps it sounds like the front end is going to fall out of it.

Roomy and good horsepower

Redesign it to give it a more youthful look.(if possible)

GM got it right
By tallmug

2004 Chevrolet Malibu Maxx LT 4dr Hatchback (3.5L 6cyl 4A)

The interior of this car is excellent and very functional. My family of four fits great. The leg room in the back seat is great. I was tired of my daughter in her car seat kicking the back of my seat in our Saab. I used the car to transport an enormous amount of junk the other day, and it fit wonderfully. The only complaint is the plastic interior materials need to be of a little higher quality.

Large back seat with plenty of leg room.

Make the interior plastic pieces of better quality.