Used 1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan Consumer Reviews - 65 Car Reviews | Edmunds

Consumer Reviews

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan

View reviews for a specific Lumina model:

The Car That Won't Quit
By QueenFancyPants

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I received my Lumina, from my aunty a while back. She gave it to me when she got a new car. The Lumina is a great car. It's great on fuel mileage, reliable and very comfortable. I'm 5'6'' and I can easily get comfortable in the drivers seat. Power is instant and I can hardly resist the sound of the 3.1 V6. The car has over 140,000 miles on it and the transmission shifts from first to fourth since it's failing. Other than that, this car is perfect. I love the interior and exterior and it's a shame that Chevy stopped making Luminas. Reliablity is spot on and I do routine maintenence myself. It's the car the won't quit.

The whole car. Fuel mileage, interior, exterior, 3.1 V6, spacious cabin and logical gauges.

None, the car is perfect.

Best Car Still on the Road
By Pat

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

Ten years and still going. I still get the same miles per gallon as day one (I keep a log), one tune up at 100K, only peformed normal maintanence. The only thing my AC needs to be charged if it's the compressor it's the only thing on the car, other than tires that would not be original. It rides great and if I can fix the AC I hope to be doing this again at 200K miles right now I'm at 116,600.

Great pick up and passing ability, very reliable. Never worrying about turning my lights on or off or forgetting my keys in the ignition.

There can be no improvements, they discontinued the best car Chevy made.

Great family car
By Farrah

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan LS 4dr Sedan

This just replaced our 98 Cavalier with 112,000 miles. Our 98 Lumina has 48,600 plus miles. Runs smooth and like a champ. Great on gas.

Very Reliable
By Mr Sensitive

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought this car new for my wife in 1998 in Houston Texas to replace her 1986 Chevy Monty Carlo. It has been a very reliable and exellent car to drive. Relatively good gas mileage even today in 2008. I get 25mpg on highway and 21 mpg local. I currently drive it back and forth to work about 26 miles round trip. Only repairs, turn signal switch and alternator. Had a small oil leak that I used some stop leak on the last oil change. This seamed to stop the leak. Changed plugs at 105k mile. Currently has 116,000 miles on it and still rides pretty smooth. Chevy should bring this vehicle back into production . I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

The sporty style of the car. Its smooth ride. Pretty quiet. No major repairs. Change oil every 3k miles and changed plugs and wires at 105k miles.

None since the car is no longer in production- Please bring it back!

Very reliable car
By Jim

1998 Chevrolet Lumina Sedan 4dr Sedan

I bought my 98 Lumina in 2002 with 105K miles on it for $2800. Now it has 203K miles and still runs perfectly. Still looks good too. Have done only routine maintenance. I have definitely gotten my money's worth. I hope to get another 100K miles. Smooth, quiet, comfortable ride, 30 mpg highway. What more could you want for basic transportation? Too bad Chevy stopped making Lumina's.

Reliable, 30 mpg highway, exterior styling still looks good to me, roomy, reasonably comfortable interior.

The only quibbles I have with this car are the cheap cupholders (broken), the inaccesible placing of the battery, and the chip on the ignition key which can be finicky.